Monday, May 17, 2010

Olds

As in, not news.

That was a pretty long and busy month, in a long and busy half-year or so since changing my working arrangements with G and U.

During that month, a friend was murdered, shot down in the street by his disappointed lover. We weren't particularly close, he was the owner of a pair of my favourite restaurants, but we'd known each other in that way for nearly twenty years. It was something of a shock.

But who the hell carries a gun around with them anyway? Quick poll: do you know anyone who regularly carries a gun (other than those who have a professional reason to do so, like on-duty soldiers and cops)? I don't, at least I believe and hope-to-god that I don't. I think I would stop associating with someone whom I discovered to be a gun-carrier.

While I was writing, a plumber arrived to fix my 28-year-old misbehaving heating/waterheater, which has been broken for several days (I wasn't the only person to have a four-day long weekend). It's fixed for now, but is officially moribund and will need to be replaced in the proximate future. I shall write to the landlady outlining the situation and asking for advice.

Spring arrived while I wasn't looking. I remember walking home at night and seeing bats for the first time, several months ago now, and thinking that I should blog about that, then getting home and doing other stuff* instead. The swallows arrived a few weeks back, probably while we were finishing up the competition, but I missed their arrival.

That's interesting: I am certain that I saw the first bats of the season, and yet I am equally certain that I didn't see the first swallows of the season. In both cases the externals are the same: look up, no X; look up again, X. What makes me think that the swallows had been there unseen, or conversely what makes me sure that the bats weren't? Perhaps this: that bats are nocturnal, had they been out earlier I would have seen them; swallows are diurnal, so my seeing them is conditional upon my being about in daylight. No, that doesn't explain why I was certain that they had been here before I saw them. Perhaps I'd heard them unconsciously and registered their presence.


* If you thought "he means Second Life," pat yourself on the head.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

How shocking! It's somehow something that only happens to others, isn't it, regardless of how tangentially you're involved it's still unfathomable. 'I know someone who was shot to death by their lover.' Like you, I'm left wondering, Who carries guns? More so, who carries guns in bloody GERMANY??

(See also: *pats self on head*)

May 18, 2010 at 12:52:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

I know of no one who regularly carries a gun, except if at work as a policeman. And this is in the old west, Utah, where the NRA olds sway. Not one.

A friend in high school was killed, because he was a homicide cop investigating gangs in Detroit. I also worked with a man in Detroit who'd been beaten up for making racist comments to a hothead. He was eventually found dead. Knowing him, it was not hard to see why.

May 18, 2010 at 2:45:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous sis said...

I too deserve a self-congratulatory pat.

s'toon has said to me: "lack of proof is not proof of lack", which on my cognitively difficult days gives me hours of puzzlement, but on clear days might mean "that you didn't see them did not mean that they weren't there", which is what I think that you said anyway.

May 18, 2010 at 9:31:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Hopefully the workload is less. What are the rules there on rentals, is it the landlord's responsibility for the heater?

May 24, 2010 at 4:55:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home