Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Awake

Woke at around 6am from dreams of being peripherally involved in an inter-family Mafia scam; blogging briefly while the hot chocolate cooks. The clock says it's late enough that I could declare this to be early morning rather than insomnia, but that is not how it feels. I definitely need more sleep.

What's new? Not a lot. Working long hours on the project; the official "breaking of the sod" ceremony is on Saturday, so construction will start very soon indeed. It feels like we are desperately far behind in producing the drawings, but nobody is much worried. I am still the only person actually drawing on this project, and since the weasel-like prime helper is going to be doing the site supervision (touch wood, better him than me) he's not going to be drawing much in future either.

Winter continues, the length and severity of this one are practically unprecedented. Still, I walked home last night through slush and the drip and trickle of meltwater rather than the soft rustle of snowfall, so perhaps there is hope. We shall see. [Later: Froze overnight and currently snowing again. Ah well.]

Reading three books at once: "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy, in the new-ish translation by Pevear and Volokhonsky (and how smug am I that I got those names right without looking them up?), "The ascent of money" by Niall Ferguson, and "The folklore of Discworld" by Terry Pratchett and Jacqueline Simpson. No prize for guessing which is the most fun.

I'm going to Malta at the end of the month, for a real-life meeting of the SL meditation group that Susan joined. I flew so much and so far in the last two years that I was able to get the flight for free. More about that as the time approaches, though in fact it is less than two weeks away. My gods, where does the time go?

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

THAT's the book I wanted. There is another one with a similar title that sucked. Thank you so much, I knew I'd gotten the wrong end of something there.

Have you got a copy of Wintersmith?

January 13, 2010 at 4:00:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

No, I don't know that one -- yet :)

January 14, 2010 at 12:58:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Mixing SL and RL in Malta - interesting

January 14, 2010 at 6:52:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

There are three young adult Pratchett books. Not quite as dense as the rest, and obviously written to a younger readership. Given that, they are all very good, and have Nac Mac Feegles in them. The Wee Free Men, A Hatful of Sky, and Wintersmith. With another one proposed, I Shall Wear MIdnight.

January 16, 2010 at 4:03:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

I've read "Hatful of Sky" and quite liked it. Can't say that I spotted that it was written for a different audience.

Excerpts in "Folklore" make me want to read Hogfather, The Last Hero, and your recommendation "Wintersmith". Found Hogfather, enjoying it.

January 25, 2010 at 3:35:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home