Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Seventh

Had an e-mail from my mother this morning, in reaction to an e-mail that she had just received from the leader of the operatour group.

The Mariinsky Theatre's Ring Cycle production which we saw in Baden-Baden two years ago, will be performed at the Met in July of 2007. Do we want to see it again?

A week in Manhattan, with the Ring? Oh, well, I'm not sure, let me think about that for a moment: YES!!!!!!!

I had mailed Sass about the possibility of me buying her a beer in Toronto in September, she expressed wonder that some people know what they'll be doing eight months in advance. I know what I hope to be doing (God willing) eighteen months in advance. Being an opera fan requires taking the long view: we must decide now, and make a downpayment next month.

A little nudge for any east coast-ish North Americans who might be curious: the Mariinsky Ring really is superb.

In other news I was standing in the kitchen just now, preparing a little tray of supplies for my midmorning break. A cup of coffee (still black) and a glass of water were on the tray, I opened the refrigerator and took out the milk - and watched myself pour milk into the glass of water, thinking as I did so "Something's not quite right here..."

In other other news the sky is already brighter, the days already longer than at Christmas. I noted with surprise yesterday evening, on the train home from a meeting, that the sky was not yet black at 5:45pm. Spring is not far away.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Uh, oh. Welcome to Geezerland. It's not so bad, if you can keep your sense of humor.

January 17, 2006 at 1:53:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Mindy said...

I did that. Only it was coffee in my cereal.

/senility

January 17, 2006 at 5:39:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

That is cool that you're going to be able to see Ring Cycle again and in Manhattan! That is awesome.

Loved the image of you pouring milk into your water and I do adore that just a few minutes more of light can bring such happy thoughts.

January 17, 2006 at 11:09:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home