Thursday, January 12, 2006

Two hundred and fifty

... days until the start of the Ring Cycle in the new Toronto Opera House (I refuse to call it by its corporate-sponsorship name) and I am starting to get excited. It'll be my 6th Ring, God willing (New York, Amsterdam, New York again, Stuttgart, Baden-Baden, Toronto); and while that may sound like a lot to non-opera-goers, for the cognoscenti it marks me as a rank beginner. Many of the operatour crowd have seen a dozen or more Rings, and we met a man in Baden-Baden who claimed to be seeing it performed live for the forty-third time.

The Ring is a sheep-from-goats-sorter of the highest order, one knows within minutes whether one will love or hate it and there really is no middle ground. Personally I love it (obviously), I think it contains some of the most marvellous music ever written (e.g. the very beginning, as the curtain rises on the Rhinemaidens). Parts of the Ring have colonised my life: every time I'm on a train that goes through Hagen, I sing (sotto voce) Alberich's "Schläfst Du, Hagen mein Sohn?" from Götterdämmerung; every time I gather up the dirty laundry I hug it to my belly, kick up my heels, and cry "Hee hee!" in imitation of Graham Clark as Mime, gleefully brewing up poison in the Amsterdam Siegfried.

The story is full of minor absurdities, as is true of most operas, but is still dense enough that it remains interesting after repeated hearings. At every Ring I have felt that I heard some piece of music, or understood some aspect of the story, for the first time.

I'll admit that there are a few parts that you can safely sleep through; but that is true of many things - even of Proust. A Ring Cycle is hard work for performers and audience alike, sixteen hours of music over four nights, so many people do nod off. The Baden-Baden Ring in the Winter of 2004, a touring production from the Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg, was the only case yet where I stayed awake for the whole Cycle, a mark of its excellence. The Baden-Baden Ring was superbly sung, played and staged (brilliant design by George Tsypin) but two years later I remember how good it was rather than any specific moments of goodness.

I wasn't very impressed by the Stuttgart Ring at the time, although it did have its moments (among them Angela Denoke as the finest, most believable Sieglinde I have yet heard); I found that there was an awful lot of wilful cleverness on the part of the directors, often at the expense of the story; but in retrospect it is one of the productions that I remember most fondly. My favourite Ring memory is of the final moments of the Stuttgart Götterdämmerung: in contrast to the usual mob scenes, Brunnhilde dismisses the chorus and surviving singers one by one, gently waking the dead Siegfried who looks around with the innocent wonder of a child before she sends him off, to finish up alone at the front of an empty stage as if on the edge of a cliff, singing out into the auditorium. Magnificent.

I wonder what the Toronto Ring will hold?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I wonder whether the Tel Aviv Opera will ever be able to perform Wagner? That's "able" as in musically and also politically. I'll be glad when it is, and I'll certainly go to see/hear it if I'm still mobile by then.

January 12, 2006 at 10:05:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the opera once when I was a teenager and fell in love. I haven't made it back since, but have watched a few on public television. It just isn't the same when you don't have the music throbbing through every cell of your body via a live performance.

While living in Portland, Oregon, we did go to the symphony often - and I want to purchase tickets to the one in Atlanta. I need to add "purchase opera tickets" to my list of entertainments.

I am positive I won't be disappointed.

Perhaps we will meet up at a future 'Ring' sometime.

January 13, 2006 at 2:09:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I remember my grandmother had these books that had the prose version of a lot of famous operas, I think I read the version of this when I was about ten or twelve? Quite some time ago but I do recognize the characters name.

I never thought I would like opera but one of my choir teachers had a group come in and sing for us and I love it. I also had the pleasure of singing an Italian opera (if I remember correctly, the English translation was the three oranges or three golden oranges) in choir as well.

I am sure you will enjoy this.

January 13, 2006 at 11:54:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, glad to finally make it over here - and what do I find - that you are an opera lover! Me too - although I've never seen a live Ring. I hope now that I'm living in a big city I can see more live opera - which reminds me to go turn on the radio for Saturday afternoon at the Met. It was also very interesting to see your list of favorite composers. What's your favorite Arvo Part music? And have you seen any works by John Adams?

January 14, 2006 at 7:22:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

I'm pleased that this opera post has had such resonance.

Among the delights of living in Europe is that every bunch-of-people-living-close-together which aspires to the designation of "city" has an opera house, and they are all so close together (in North American terms). When the Philip Glass Ensemble toured with his operatic setting of Cocteau's film "La Belle et la Bête", the Stuttgart concert sold out before lunchtime, so we drove to Munich to see them (where the house was only half full!)

Savtadotty: even here in Germany, Wagner is politically suspect. I know people who - without being able to explain exactly why - think it's somehow morally wrong to enjoy his music. Bah.

eV: yes, live performance is different and better. It's like the difference between watching sports on TV and being in the stadium. But I wouldn't turn up my nose at opera on TV. When I lived in London, the BBC would occasionally rebroadcast some of the Met opera TV recordings, they were uniformly excellent.

DM: the feeling that opera "isn't for me" is common, and usually false. If you like film music, then you would like Wagner: He invented the concept of the continuous flow of themed music which follows and emphasizes the action. The Ring would remind you of film scores by Enrico Morricone, Rogers and Hart and Leonard Bernstein.

Beth: welcome aboard! All of Pärt is my favourite :-) but the Beatus is what gets played most often. I've never heard John Adams, I'm sorry to say, I shall have to make a note for my next trip to the library.

January 14, 2006 at 8:53:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toronto Opera House (I refuse to call it by its corporate-sponsorship name)

thank you thank you thank you thank you.

January 14, 2006 at 9:45:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home