Saturday, April 17, 2010

Not California

Sometime ago, several weeks back now, I arranged to go to San Francisco for a RL meeting of Susan's SL meditation group (following on from the meeting in Malta in January). It was to be my first time in California, something I'd been looking forward to for many decades. For weeks I went around annoying people by singing "Spend my days with a woman unkind…" and various Beach Boys tunes. I found myself writing page-long lists of things to see and do (Berkeley! Salk Institute! Apple Store!) and had to keep reminding myself (a) that I'd only be there for a week, and (b) that I was supposed to be going there to meditate and relax and become more mindful.

I should have flown there via London tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn.

Unfortunately, events in Iceland have conspired against that. I cancelled my flights this morning, and will be remaining ground-bound in Europa. G and I have decided I will be on short time next week: not exactly a holiday but I will certainly be less often in the office than usual. Perhaps I'll take the train to Paris for the weekend or something like that.

Ah well. Shit happens.

[Updated, much later] Well, I didn't even get to Paris. Stayed in the office and worked all week.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

At least there is a story to go along, "Cancelled my vacation due to VOLCANO!

So, when you actually go, you have to eat at Cha Cha Chas on Haight St. It'll happen, in time.

April 17, 2010 at 5:21:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Eden said...

So sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip for San Francisco Udge. Paris in April would be a good alternative ;-) Le Pont des Arts, la Seine, the restaurant Georges on the roof of Georges Pompidou Center (roses on the tables!, delicious blinis and chocolate macarons). Sitting in Notre-Dame for a few 9 seconds, le Café de Flore, le marché Mouffetard, le Louvre, and so much more!

April 17, 2010 at 6:17:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Look on the bright side: Maybe the volcano eruption in Iceland will trigger an earthquake in California, while you're sipping cafe with chicory at Les Deux Magots.

April 17, 2010 at 6:40:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Sorry that your trip was cancelled. California for the first time is impressive. As is Paris. Looks like all the trains are taken though, so you might end up at home anyway.
Have fun in whatever you do - perhaps you can meditate via internet anyway.

April 19, 2010 at 6:00:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Beth said...

Sorry you got grounded, Udge. When you do go, put Big Sur on your list!

April 23, 2010 at 4:44:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Levant Lady said...

I hope you got to Paris. Since I'm a Californian, and have only been to Paris twice in my life, it doesn't sound like a shabby alternative at all!

May 4, 2010 at 8:32:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home