Thursday, December 15, 2005

Low pressure zone

We have finished the first-stage submission, after a few desperate and grindingly hard marathon sessions. I too ended up wading deeply in Excel, when it comes right down to the wire G just doesn't have the patience for this kind of nitpicking detail work. He has the artistic temperament, you see, and starts throwing pencils if he cannot get a visible result within an hour. Now me, I'm more of the "phlegmatic country gardener" type, patience is my middle name and picking nits is my hobby. Much as I despise Excel as a piece of software, it suits my temperament quite well.

I am gearing down for the holiday season. I still have three all-day appointments with new, old and possible customers, and a fair amount of work to do on the website, but compared with the last three weeks these will be milk runs. Now that things are settling down, I shall try to return to near-daily blogging and bring out some of the stories that I haven't written during the last weeks.

The respite is purely temporary. We are still 160 thousand Euros over budget, so we will have to change a few things before the final planning-permission submission in January.

In other news, Chirpy (that may have to remain her name) didn't come to Stuttgart today; she fears that she has caught a bug and wishes to stay home where it's quiet and warm. Je suis ténébreux (mais pas inconsolable).

Today's Song On Infinite Repeat: So ma guisee by Mo' Horizons, from the album Hotel Costas Sept. The song is an anti-racist "I too was born here" rap, but the point is the groove which is simply irresistible. An ideal present for the acid jazz/chillout/lounge fan on your list. (The Amazon page has Windows Media Player and Real Player samples of all tracks.)

3 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

What? How can you dismiss my beloved Excel so casually? I love Excel. Of course, I'm not trying to do architect things with it and mainly use it to try and balance my checkbook (which I fail at but only because I am math challenged. Excel can not be blamed for this).

I am sorry that Chirpy couldn't make it. I hope she feels better soon. You know, you could bring her chicken soup. There is a novel I read once where the hero brought the heroine chicken soup and ice cream and did her dishes and took care of her when she was sick. It was quite romantic. Just a thought.

December 16, 2005 at 6:47:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

It sounds like it is good that you're working on the project too, since you are patient and can get the details correct. Excel is good for some things and I've found that for most things I need to do, it is the best out there. That doesn't mean there isn't something better though.

I'm sorry you're not able to visit with Chirpy today. I was hoping for a good romantic story. It just makes the next meeting more special. I hope she feels better soon!

December 16, 2005 at 9:22:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Philip, the Amazon site has short clips of all the songs on the CD, here is so ma guisee.

December 16, 2005 at 11:38:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home