Monday, December 05, 2005

Unbelieveable

Here are the titles of some recently received spam-mail:
peruke Pharmoaceuticall
referable Pharmaaceuttical
strawberry Pharmaceutiycall
thievishly Pharrmaceuticgal
monologue Phgarmaaceutical
scholarship Pharmaceutiyccal
quadrangle Phaarmayceutical
Scorpio Pharmaceuticcazl
vivacious Pharmmaceutmical
fiendish MMelidications
flesh Meidicaationas
poultry Medigiications
purchasable MMediacfations
flapdoodle Mediacanations
autotruck Medfiacatioons

I am aghast at the implications of the obvious booming success of this kind of spam marketing. I do understand what's behind the phenomenon, I know that the target audience is the American working poor who cannot afford to buy the medication they need, and they do have my sympathy. However, even if I were in that position, I would still not reply to "autotruck Medfiacatioons" because I would know, with absolute certainty, that they would cheat me.

They would send me a packet of blue M&M's with the word "Medfiacatioon" written on them in pencil, and I would have no legal recourse: first because no other "Medfiacatioon" exists against which theirs could be compared, and secondly because they explicitly offered "Medfiacatioon" - not medication - and I freely chose to buy it. Caveat emptor, case dismissed, tough luck.

On the other hand, it is a marvellously effective business plan, offering bags of money and no liability; I can see the MBA types licking their lips and giving each other high fives.

(Yes, I am feeling somewhat better, how can you tell? :-) I slept through until dawn last night, for the first time in ages, and that in itself has made a big difference.)

2 Comments:

Blogger trelif said...

I like the "flapdoodle Mediacanations" best. I have always wanted something to cure my flapdoodle.

Good that you finally got that much-needed rest!

December 5, 2005 at 9:53:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

You have a good point. I'm surprised I never thought of it, but if these emails are all so ridiculously subjected that no one responds to them, then who pays the spammer to do them and why? Is it because they are automated that companies are used to doing them regardless of whether they are effective at selling pharmeceuticals or just pissing everyone off? I really wonder.

I like "thievishly Pharmaceuticgal" the best. What's the idea here? That the drugs rob you of your cold? Glad something robbed you of yours. Antibiotics.

December 10, 2005 at 5:15:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home