Monday, November 28, 2005

On statistics

If you have ever glanced down at the bottom of the left-hand column (don't bother) you will have seen a pair of icons from Statcounter.com and Sitemeter.com, which provide (overlapping but different) information about visitors to my blog. I resisted putting the counters for several months after I started blogging, feeling that knowing how many people were reading might influence my writing, but that hasn't happened so far. Perhaps that might be different if I had 12 thousand page views per month (as Mindy recently noted), but I would hope not.

I look at these three times a week or so (because the free version of Statcounter only stores the most recent 100 page-loads), to see who's been here recently. The stats are pretty abstract, they tell me (among other things) the browser you use, your operating system version, the city where your ISP resides and the IP address you are currently using. Statcounter goes one further and also tells me how many times you have viewed the blog. (The current record-holder is my sister, in both first (home) and third (office) places.)

Nonetheless, this abstract information is often enough to identify regular visitors (I can guess which Opera user in College Station TX reads my blog, and who is reading from Lisbon Lisboa); and if you leave a comment, then I can cross-link the time of your visit with the time that you posted. Gotcha.

And you thought the Internet was anonymous?

My sister needs to keep on her toes, though, because there is a new contender: catching up fast at 200 page-loads is a reader in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan whom I have not yet identified. At first I thought that I knew who it was, but then I noticed that the visitor always uses a Windows XP machine. Puzzling: the person I thought of has a brand-new Mac.

Another puzzler is the reader in Anchorage, Alaska, who has been here 19 times but as far as I can tell has not yet left a comment.

Please say "hello" next time, you two: I like to know who's reading. (If you don't wish to comment publicly, then use the mail address at the top left.)

In other news, it's Springsteen day here in Udgeland. It doesn't happen often, but when the bug bites there is no denying it. I was lustily singing along, but this stanza caught in my throat:
Girl you're looking at two big spenders
Why the world don't know what me and Wayne might do
Our pa's each own one of the World Trade Centers
For a kiss and a smile I'll give mine all to you.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

In other other news, I have finally discovered Who I Really Am.



Neo, the "One". Neo is the computer hacker-turned-Messiah of the Matrix. He leads a small group of human rebels against the technology that controls them. Neo doubts his ability to lead but doesn't want to disappoint his friends. His goal is for a world where all men know the Truth and are free from the bonds of the Matrix.

Neo: 63%
James Bond, Agent 007: 58% (I hope they mean Sean Connery!)
Indiana Jones: 58%
Maximus: 54%
The Amazing Spider-Man: 54%
William Wallace: 50%
Lara Croft: 50%
The Terminator: 42%
Batman, the Dark Knight: 42%
El Zorro: 38%
Captain Jack Sparrow: 29%

I had to look up Maximus, William Wallace (mea culpa) and Capt. Sparrow.

Which Action Hero Would You Be? v. 2.0
created with QuizFarm.com

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger sirbarrett said...

Hi Udge!

November 28, 2005 at 6:38:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Hey SirB, is that just a "hello" or are you Saskatoon? I had you picked as coming from Ottawa (based on your provider & the timing of a comment).

November 28, 2005 at 9:17:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Hey I got to be Neo too (75%)! I kind of wish I knew who all the heroes are, besides James Bond and Spiderman.

November 28, 2005 at 10:35:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

Neo, LOVE Neo! There are at keast 4 eminently shaggable blokes in the 1st matrix, what are the odds! And the plot! And the clothes good God the clothes!

Am a bit giddy now, must take deep breaths and then take the test. I'll be bahk.

November 29, 2005 at 12:52:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

83% Neo, 83% Lara Croft, wouldn't you know it.

Must watch the movie now and see what I'm missing. Must break some heads.

(Savtad., shame on you! And Udgem you didn't know Jack Sparrow?! Shame on you as well!)

November 29, 2005 at 1:00:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

[Oh, oh, forgot to ask, where the hell is Lisbon??]

November 29, 2005 at 1:01:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Huh. I'm Jack Sparrow. This isn't a shock actually. Although I think Neo might be prettier.

November 29, 2005 at 1:54:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Anchorage Alaska here... Just a blog reader. Like to keep up with life in Europe... I think I found this blog on one of the expat sites...

==Alaska

November 29, 2005 at 5:13:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

One of the things I enjoy about stats counters is to see what random searches produce hits on the site. I'm always curious as to what people thought they were going to find.

I took that test. I'm Indiana Jones. Who knew?

November 29, 2005 at 8:57:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I was wrong! I know Indiana Jones! And the Terminator (Arnold) is the Gov of CA, right? Life imitates art.

November 29, 2005 at 3:18:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I meant life imitates "art."

November 29, 2005 at 3:18:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Or, because it's CA, "life" imitates "art."

November 29, 2005 at 3:19:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Savta: LOL. Anyone want to bet that the election race in 2008 is between Arnie and Hilary Clinton?

November 29, 2005 at 8:08:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Alaska: thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome on board. How's the weather up there?

Lioness: "four eminently shaggable blokes"? Damned if I can think of that many, although (a) men and women have different ideas of male shaggability, and (b) it's been a long time since I saw it (once). So who do you rate beside Reeves and Fishburne?

Franikins: If the Stuttgarter Nachrichten really does know when Allen's going to drop off the perch, I think somebody should send him the article.

November 29, 2005 at 8:20:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Brooksba: search strings are always good for a laugh - or a shudder. I am astonished how many people end up here looking for "naked wink club" or variations thereof.

November 29, 2005 at 8:54:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

Well, there's Tank (I was going to write the kid and then realised while googling him that he is older than me), he's pretty bloody gorgeous, right there w CSI's Warwick, and now - shocker! - Agent Smith. His mouth is lekker, what can I say.

I would add Trinity if I were having a lesbotronic moment but I never do have those, so it stops at 4.

November 29, 2005 at 9:31:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The weather has been a little chilly. in the single digits.... We had about 2 feet of snow for Thanksgiving. So it is white...

==Alaska

November 30, 2005 at 6:07:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm basically a draw between James Bond, Indiana Jones and Cpt. Jack Sparrow, and I'm commenting from my temporarily Middle Eastern IP address.
I think Neo is cool, and the Lioness needs to see a doctor :P

November 30, 2005 at 5:58:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Little Light said...

Yeah, I knew you used stat counter because I somehow ran up against you in checking my own stats.

December 1, 2005 at 12:38:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

How exciting to be THE one. I thought Matrix I was the best one, but I'm a big fan of them all. The others used too many effects and didn't have enough story line. William Wallace was the liberator. Of course, it's never nice to be drawn and quartered, but he's a loyal man, loyal to his people. Sorry to confuse you about where I'm from but it's definitely Saskatoon, nor is it Ottawa. There was a university student on coop from around my real area who was killed by wolves near Saskatoon a few weeks ago. He was the first one in memorable history. Scientists are speculating why this happened and have suggested that humans dumping garbage is a likely factor.

I want to try this fun quiz, so I shall. Hopefully, it will unveil my true identity.

December 1, 2005 at 1:24:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger trelif said...

Hi, Udge. I'm the Iowa City lurker (Windows at work, Mac at home). I hope you feel better soon.

December 2, 2005 at 7:28:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Diana said...

Hullo. I come by from time to time, via our Lioness.

Ta.

December 3, 2005 at 8:46:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home