Saturday, November 12, 2005

Metablog the fourth

(In which our hero attempts to obscure the lack of interestingness in his life by posting a two-month-old note from his Moleskine.)

I was on a Vaporetto crossing the Giudecca Canal on the last day of my holiday, when I heard a jet flying overhead on its way to the airport (a rarity: Venice airport is fairly busy by small-town standards, but planes seldom fly over the city). The situation reminded me of Noorster's recent series of photos of her arrival in Venice. I looked up at the plane, and thought to myself "Wouldn't it be funny if Noorster were on that flight?"

By the way, don't call the stalker police just yet. This is not about Noorster, she simply happens to have triggered it. I could have written this about any blogger whom I regularly read, or for that matter about myself.

Who is Noorster? The question is not as trivial as it may seem. I've never met her, probably never will, and I'm sure that the great majority of (my and her) readers are in the same boat. We know quite a bit about her from reading on and between the lines: she is "an atheist secular Jew", travels a lot (and some of us know why), smokes, reads in at least three languages - and is learning Hebrew, loves dogs, has a wry and dry sense of humour, and is very intelligent: I was astonished to discover (after reading her blog for nearly a year) that English isn't her native language.

Sounds like a nice, interesting person, somebody you'd like to get to know. The problem is that "Noorster" does not exist, she is a work of fiction more or less true to life - just as "Udge" is. Udge is very similar to me (my sister recognized it as my voice) but he is by no means all of me: my fears and weaknesses, my bad habits and petty incompetences are grossly underrepresented here. A blog identity is a literary construction, like the hero(ine) of a novel: saying "Noorster is a nice woman" is similar to saying "Inspector Brunetti is an honourable man".

On the other hand, I believe that a successful long-term blog has to be based closely around the personality and life of the blogger, because of the enormous difficulty of maintaining this voice if it were purely fiction. How many thousands of words have Mindy, Philip, Lioness, et al written? The length of some blogs exceeds that of many novels, and the speed of publication precludes the amount of planning and coördination that I feel would be necessary to sustain an invented character; add in the rapid-fire communication that arises in comments and blogging-about-blogs, and the task seems to me pretty well impossible. Blogging in that persona would be a tiresome and tiring full-time occupation, and who would bother to expend that amount of time and energy on a blog when they could as more easily write a novel?

Which brings us back to my starting point, with myself on a Vaporetto looking up at an airplane and thinking about Noorster. I wondered what would happen if she and I should chance to sit at adjacent tables at the Café Florian in the Piazza San Marco that evening. If we started a conversation, would we recognize each other?

Other Metablogs: first second third

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Now that's a concept for a writer's tour de force novel: bloggers, their blog voices, and the "real" people, meeting each other in person. The kind of thing Vladimir Nabokov could do. Not me.

November 13, 2005 at 8:00:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger TLP said...

Well, some can do it I'm sure. Some do just that. But why? Too much bother for sure.

Good post.

November 14, 2005 at 4:42:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Interesting thoughts. Part of what's so exciting about reading people is the mystery. You know that behind the persona's there are real people, but yet it's so unbelieveable. It's easier to get in the habit of thinking they are a place. What language does Noorster speak as her first language?

November 14, 2005 at 7:20:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Why would we call the stalker police? I don't know Noorster and keep meaning to check out her blog. I should really do that.

Two of the greatest experiences I've had this year have been meeting Johnny and spending a glorious vacation in Portugal and traveling to Tomah to meet Mark when he was visiting his son.

I like meeting new people. Granted, we exchanged a lot more info with Johnny and Mark than I do with others but it was still a worthwhile experience.

I'd like to think that if I sat down in an airport and struck up a conversation with you that I would eventually recognize (and be overwhelmed by your intelligence (as I am on your blog)) you.

Oh. Question. Is udge pronounced to rhyme with nudge or is it pronounced oodge? Just curious.

November 14, 2005 at 7:26:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Heather Cox said...

Of course you can know someone in person for years and still not know things about them too, even in real life we play persona roles a lot.

November 14, 2005 at 8:30:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Heather: very true! Raises the question of whether the blog persona is more or less "real" than the realworld persona(s) we present. Food for thought, and/or a future metablog. (I like the new Amelie icon, that was a very fine film).

DM: "oodge"?!!? I am offended :-)

SB: now that you mention it, I don't know. Noorster has never actually stated what her first language is, only that it is not English.

TLP: thank you!

Savtadotty: I wish I had thought of it two weeks ago, when I was considering NaNoWriMo, I might even have written a few words by now with that inspiration.

November 14, 2005 at 9:10:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Hey! I pronounce it Udge (like nudge). But you never know.

November 15, 2005 at 3:18:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

Interesting points. I have found that people are closer to they are in real life on blogs than over chat rooms. The sheer amount of posts and the intergrated stories are just too complex to hide so much. Although we all keep a bit hidden, in real life and in our blogs.

I agree with Dana though. Meeting fellow bloggers is rewarding and exciting. Meeting Johnny just proved how wonderful she is and her personality is just an extension of what she writes.

November 15, 2005 at 9:13:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger John said...

Personally My persona in my blog and My persona in the outer world is exactly the same. I never change. That much you can count on.

I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from Me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged Me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting, men may know there is none besides Me. I am the LORD, and there is no other. I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.
Isaiah 45:5-7

November 15, 2005 at 10:35:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger nancy oarneire graham said...

The person may be fiction. It's true. But the reality may also be compelling. This is spoken by a woman married now 9+ years to a man she "met" "on a computer." Who turned out to be even better in person.

Regarding NaNo, just do it man! I sent you NaNo mail btw did you get it? I am Felt People in NaNoLand. It's not too late to write a novel this month.

November 16, 2005 at 1:49:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home