Monday, November 07, 2005

A rose by any other name

What's in a name? Proust writes about this in the early stages of "A la Recherche", when as a young boy he is disappointed to learn that the bearer of a proud and ancient aristocratic name, redolent of history, is an ordinary-looking woman in an ugly coat.

People often address me by names other than my own. I don't mean that strangers misremember my name, these are people who know me quite well, and the name they assign me is almost always that of someone dear to them. It's happened all my life, and over the years I have become quite used to it.

U and our ex-colleague B both used to call me "G", and U still does occasionally. My favourite cousin once called me by her husband's name. Sally called me (name of the father of her children) once. Slim sometimes calls me (name of the father of her child), which I find worrying given their violent adversarial relationship; she even calls me "Larry" once in a while, which I find puzzling but very sweet.

Does it matter that you all call me "Udge"? Would your image of me be different if you learned that my name was Montgomery, or Cary, or Tim?

9 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

That is a good question. I don't think that knowing you as anything other than Udge would change our opinions. Especially in this medium. I do see how the names children are given can help shape their personality in schools. A child with a common name will learn to be part of a crowd. A child with an unusually pronounced name may find irritations in life with people not knowing how to say the name. But as adults, names do not take on the same qualities and we learn to look at the person, not the name. Hopefully at least.

November 8, 2005 at 3:15:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Well, I think if you were named, oh, Ethelbert, I would have a problem.

Actually, I don't think it makes much difference. My name is Dana in the real world but most people online refer to me as DM. People I talk to on the phone at work call me Anna or Danna or Xana and occasionally Xena (which I don't get at all because who would actually have that name).

A name is just a name.

November 8, 2005 at 4:38:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

No, but I am curious about the sources of "udge." My only association is with truncated "sludge," which isn't so nice and doesn't match my impression of you at all.

November 8, 2005 at 11:51:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Heather Cox said...

Names are just labels. They can tell a lot about a person or like your rose quote from Romeo & Juliet they can just be a hindrance. I think it's really interesting how people choose names for their kids or for themselves.

November 9, 2005 at 4:38:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Little Light said...

I have a tendency to associate personalties with names based on personal experience, but I find that when I originally didn't like a name and then meet someone fantastic with that name, it becomes one of my favorites.

November 12, 2005 at 12:06:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Montgomery" would mess with my mind.

November 12, 2005 at 11:21:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I forgot...a nudge and a wink. Boy do I feel dumb!

November 15, 2005 at 3:31:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger nancy oarneire graham said...

To me you are udge AND cary.

But when we meet there's a violent rearrangement of preconceptions.

Names are important. My real name, Nancy, is, I feel, shallow and diminutive. I do feel it has affected who I am and how I'm perceived. And because it derives from "Ann," its status is contingent. I hate that. I don't think I'll ever like the name, but I'm always open to hearing it defended.

November 16, 2005 at 2:08:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Red: I put "Cary" in the list for you :-)

Noorster: oh dear :-(

November 16, 2005 at 3:24:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home