Monday, October 31, 2005

Dog meets art, both survive

The Art Cologne Kunstmesse is another place where I could easily spend a lottery jackpot prize in an afternoon, I consider the price of the works that interest me to be a confirmation of my good taste. Prize of the day was a 1959 abstract painting by Jean-Paul Riopelle, which I am proud to say that I identified at twenty paces, so redolent of art-history and cultural-significance that even such a roughneck as myself could not bear to reduce it to a mere commercial transaction by asking the price. I contented myself with buying books (catalogues) by Ralph Fleck, Hans-Christian Schink, Dirk Brömmel, and Wolfgang Kessler.

Until fairly recently, I had vaguely disliked dogs and the people who lead them around in public places. I think of a little old lady in Venice, whom I watched let her lapdog take a dump in the doorway of a store; or of an idiot aunt of mine, who would sit still and murmur "Oh, Spotty, please don't do that, you know how it upsets Mummy" as her spaniel pissed copiously on your trouser leg. So you can imagine that I was not thrilled when Sally said that she would have to bring her dog with her to the Kunstmesse, because I anticipated just such a barking, leash-tugging, over-indulged little monster pissing on the art. I was wrong, and wish to apologise to dogs everywhere for my error. I have realized that bad behaviour is not entirely the dog's fault, but to a very large extent that of the owner who has neglected to train it. Meet a whippet greyhound cross named "Charly", the politest, quietest, non-trouser-leg-pissing-on'est dog you could ever hope to see.

It was quite interesting to compare this day at the Messe with a dog, to a previous day at an art gallery with a child-in-a-stroller. Most people at the art gallery had been glad to see Dennis, and nobody seemed to object; a few people were shocked and angry to see Charly on his lead. I have to say that Dennis was an annoyance to visitors and gallery staff alike: chattering and shouting, running around, trying to touch every painting (and succeeding in touching many when he outran us); yet convention says that children are welcome in galleries, nobody made faces or rude not-quite-sotto-voce comments. Charly was extremely well-behaved, I was with him for twelve hours, and I can state that he never barked once, nor did he lick a single artwork (or even his own balls); yet many people were offended by his presence, and comments were made behind our backs.

On the other hand, there were many people who were delighted to see Charly, who is a polite and very handsome dog; he surely had a month's ration of being petted by strangers that day. Several gallery owners (who were in the middle of a week away from their dogs) left their stands to walk up and pet him. At least a dozen people asked whether we had had any difficulty getting him in to the Messe, we (I include myself, by this time I had begun to enjoy having him around) replied honestly that we hadn't bothered to ask permission. I confidently expect that there will be several dogs in the audience next year.

3 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

Okay, first you have the book post and now the art work? Why do you hate me, udge? Why?

Charlie sounds like a fabulous dog. I don't know why people would have a problem with him unless it said specifically no dogs.

Sounds like a great time.

November 1, 2005 at 12:24:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Liza said...

As a dog owner myself, I'd have to say that more often than not, it is indeed the owner who is at fault. I would never dream of walking my dog off the leash in our neighborhood, as there are just so many other dogs around (and ours, despite being 13 years old, still fancies himself as the neighborhood's primary alpha dog, and will go after any other male dog who dares to tread in his territory). The problem is all the idiots who believe their male dogs to be harmless, and choose to walk them off leash. Inevitably, when the two dogs cross paths, the off leash dog approaches our dog, and a minor altercation ensues. The other dog owner often just stands there, trying to call the dog back, which of course doesn't work. The other owner is usually dumbstruck, and says something really stupid like, "gee, he's never done that before." Small consolation for the heart palpatations I'm having as I try to pull my dog out of the fray. I can control my dog, but not both, and when I get angry, the other owner usually doesn't respond, but then tries to punish his/her dog, for something that I see as being the owner's fault in the first place, for allowing the dog to go free AND fights its own instincts when another dog is around.

November 1, 2005 at 8:24:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

I'm so jealous. I could spend all my money on the artwork.

I'm sure that some people really enjoyed Charlie. Well-behaved dogs are such a joy and I know that many had good feelings by seeing him.

November 1, 2005 at 8:53:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home