Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Suspect device

My paranoia gland tingled last night, when I got a comment from Anonymous:
Have a look at this please, it is about Israel and Palestine peace plan:
http://thecommentaryonline.blogspot.com/
I remembered seeing the same comment, also anonymously, on Savtadotty's post yesterday, so I had a look. The blog appears to be in order, it proposes a rather simplistic plan for peace in the Middle East, which has already gathered some two dozen comments. (The essential core of the plan was proposed by Tom Clancy in his 1991 thriller "The Sum of All Fears".)

[Updated: I am in two minds about this piece. I definitely had an odd feeling about the blog; but on the other hand I would really hate to be raining on some idealistic 17-year-old's parade, and this feeling comes close to outweighing my doubts. I shall have another look around, and may just take this down tomorrow.]

[Updated again: Like most suspect devices, this one is probably harmless, it's a bunch of kids in Toronto or Yonkers (neither Statcounter nor Sitemeter gives enough info to pin it down absolutely). The writer of the article is indeed not the maker of the blog, who presumably placed the anonymous comments. My bad: I forgot the simple rule "Never attribute to malice, what can be satisfactorily explained by incompetence inexperience." Sorry, guys.]

4 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I hope you're wrong. I just deleted the comment on my blog. Flagrant blog-flogging is not my cup of tea.

October 18, 2005 at 8:21:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

You know, even if it's just a bunch of kids, it's still inappropriate to just go around and spam people.

Hopefully they will learn something about blog courtesy.

October 19, 2005 at 12:45:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Diana said...

I got a hit from him, too. I almost deleted it out of hand, but then clicked on the link. I liked your comment to him; not mean, just, well, appropriate. Not the done thing, indeed.

October 19, 2005 at 11:25:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Ya, good call Udge. I'm gonna remember that quote. Although the Israeli Palestinian issue is pretty charged, people don't always want to start a war. Their position may be naive and assume that the issue is a lot simpler than it really is, but I guess we all need to start somewhere. On the other hand, I agree with DM: they still shouldn't have been spamming.

October 23, 2005 at 8:58:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home