Tuesday, November 01, 2005

NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo badge

As if I didn't have enough to do this month, what with the competition win and the database and tango lessons and all that, I have decided to attempt to write a 50-thousand word novel. It'll probably be about how a tango-dancing database-programming architect goes slowly mad under the pressure of self-imposed deadlines.

Which brings up the topic of how quickly time passes, as though it weren't on my mind already. Last year at this time, I was admiring Smartmom and others who had taken on this absurd challenge, and thought that it was something that I'd like to do. I even thought about a few possible starting points, and told myself that I would do some research and reading in preparation. Then I forgot all about it, of course, so I am having the 0° Kelvin of cold starts: no plot, no characters, no idea.

I'll keep you posted. (No, I will not make you read the NIP, I probably won't let you read it.)

8 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

Sounds like a bit of fun, even if it causes extra deadlines. Best of luck and if you do make it available to read, I'd like to read your novel.

November 1, 2005 at 8:47:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

But, but I want to read it. That's not very nice.

I've thought about doing this but while I'm good at thinking up characters, I'm bad at putting it down on paper. Sigh.

November 2, 2005 at 2:34:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be running along waving my Udge flag and clapping my huge inflatable hands with the pointy index fingers they have.

November 2, 2005 at 12:27:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Heather Cox said...

Good luck! But but me too, how about just the first line, I love first lines of novels.

If you're still stuck why not start with Spongebob lingerie? Surely that would spark something? A noir-style whodunnit? A philosophical treatise on undergarments? A tragic romance? An epic adventure?

November 2, 2005 at 11:15:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

"noir"? You mean yellow-and-green, surely? The world is not yet ready for a Sponge-Bob-Lingerie novel, but they might just make a guest appearance. Does anyone else want negotiate some product placements? :-)

An Udge flag, what a brilliant idea. I shall run off to CafePress and get them working on it.

Well, OK: assuming that I write anything at all (word count to date is, um, let me just count that again, exactly zero; I've written pages of stuff today, just not a novel) I might let a few selected lucky individuals have a small peek :-)

November 3, 2005 at 1:37:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Your ambition is admirable. Good luck!

November 3, 2005 at 4:33:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

That is ambitious indeed. Maybe the best way to free up the freeze is to go tango dancing yourself, and look at all the other things that go with it. Life is a story. Or you can just write in stream of consciousness, letting characters meet each other until they feel comfortable that they are all who they think they are, then start the real novel from there. The database person going mad would also be interesting. You have to tell things from the perspective you know them from (not that it's easy).

November 4, 2005 at 5:30:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Thanks for coming by my blog!

Yes, I'm doing it too - but I found it out a little late. And I don't plan on getting it all done, but it's a nice little motivator.

I see you're an opera fan and in Stuttgart. I know this is going to sound totally out there, but do you work for the opera??? Because a good friend of mine went over from San Francisco and did some work for them earlier this year. Crazy, I know. Long shot, too. But hey.

November 12, 2005 at 9:15:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home