Monday, November 14, 2005

Paging Mr. Gibson

I don't know whether to find this Wired news item cool or horrifying:

Now VisionCare Ophthalmic Technologies is offering a major upgrade to aging human vision systems. Measuring 4mm long, the Implantable Miniature Telescope works in concert with the cornea to enlarge images 2.2x or 3x, depending on which model you buy. VisionCare recommends implanting the device in only one eye, which would serve as the central vision system for the wearer, leaving the other eye in reserve for peripheral vision.

As I understand the company's website, some 200 patients have had the device implanted, in an ongoing clinical-test programme.

Looks like William Gibson's time has run out, the world has caught up with his novels.

2 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

In the words of the immortal Will Smith, "Oh, hell no."

You've got to be kidding me. I know you're not but this is unbelievable. Scary times.

November 15, 2005 at 3:12:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

I'm not signing up for that procedure. I would think the difference in sight in the two eyes would cause one to become quite queasy. I would at least.

This is scary.

November 15, 2005 at 9:07:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home