Friday, June 23, 2006

Forward to the past

It's been a busy week. The first user tests of the Hobbyist project were (shall we say) not rave reviews. The user interface was felt to be too different from the professional version, and that too many of its most useful features were missing from Hobbyist. Many testers liked being able to see an overview of all records in the list (or a thematic selection thereof) while editing a single record, but all testers preferred the pro version's inclusion of a thumbnail image in the list of records; this is not possible in Hobbyist, one of the many consequences of the way I implemented the new system.

I've spent the last two days making a new/old UI for Hobbyist, basically by duplicating the pro version and then hiding the bits that they don't need.

I am disappointed, because I personally found the new UI very pretty; but I would be the first to admit that it forced my hand in many ways; some of the consequences of the UI look like errors. A hard decision, but a good one: I'm sad to see the UI go, but Hobbyist will be the better for it.

In other news the weather has broken, if only for a short respite. It's currently 23°C and partly cloudy, with a gentle breeze. Nice.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Ach, in programming as in writing, you have to murder your darlings.

June 23, 2006 at 4:59:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Sorry that all your hard work isn't what was wanted. I'm sure it was very pretty.

June 24, 2006 at 8:39:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home