Thursday, June 15, 2006

On memory and truth

Another four-day weekend, the last of the year. Today is Fronleichnam aka Corpus Christi. I slept in this morning until after 10am, by which time it was already 28° and very humid, so I shall stay indoors until the cool of the evening. [Updated at 18:06] there might not be any cool this evening: it clouded over and is now raining, in that slow, sparse and very deliberate way of summer rains after a too-long spell of heat and humidity: big, fat, slowly-moving, somehow oily-feeling drops.

There is a smell of honey on the air today, very odd; until I worked out that it is probably the smell of clover blooming somewhere for the first time this year. Perhaps I shall go looking sniffing for it this evening.

Dale posted a moving story on Tuesday about ... well, read it and see (please); and read the comments too, they are also very interesting. I have three times now started to write a response to that post, about my childhood, which I believe to have been eventless and happy; but have three times been stopped by doubts and half-memories. What do I really remember, and what is a story that I've heard or invented?

More to the point: are my memories, these stories, "true" in the sense that others would acknowledge them to be correct? Each sibling grows up in a different household, my sister's account would be substantially different from mine.

My favourite cousin and I talk often about this, about the way her father was perceived within and without the family; and also about our grandfather. My mother says that our grandfather was a saint, calm and peaceful and gentle. FC's mother (his daughter-in-law) says that he beat our grandmother and terrorized his children. Whose version is true?*

FC's father is another case in point: I cannot remember him other than happy, optimistic, friendly; their house was always full of visitors, of laughter and music and good food. When he was buried, on a day so cold that the gravediggers needed to drill holes and plant explosives to open a grave, four hundred people stood in the Prairie wind for his funeral. Think about that for a moment, you dwellers in warm lands: how long would you stand for whom at -50°C? So we may infer that he was well-liked and respected in the community; and a farming community does not bestow its respect lightly.

Yet FC says the same of him that her mother said of our grandfather: he beat his kids and their mother, was vindictive and cruel and - worst of all, I feel - inconsistent: his favour was as fickle as Queen Elizabeth's, and what was laughed off on Tuesday might be punishable on the weekend.

Yet again, her brother, the youngest child, saw nothing of this. His description is closer to mine: he remembers a happy and gentle man who liked to sing. (In fairness I haven't spoken with him nearly as often or as openly as with FC.)

Can this be the same man?

Perhaps what we think of as "character" is just what we believe to be the motivation underlying the behaviour we observe.

Perhaps there is no such thing as a single, fixed, definite and stable identity, and psychology is barking up the wrong dead horse.

Perhaps we are all simultaneously Mother Theresa and Genghis Khan, always choosing to express just one part of ourselves and denying the others; not unlike a father picking favourites among his children.

(On the other hand, this is mostly harmless, we aren't talking about Belgium. How many things are wrong with that picture?)



* I know whom I most believe: my mother. FC's mother is a (familyname), they have been for generations a hissing and a byword in the community, and still are. If your plough goes missing overnight, you'll find it in (familyname)'s field; if there's a drunken brawl in the tavern, you'll find a (familyname) in the thick of it.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

All my cousins loved my dad, who would get on the floor and roughouse with them, make silly faces and play. In part, this was because the other adults didn't have much use for him, and his own children knew how fast his temper would change when he was in private. He knew how to put on party manners.

Although, I found out later, that even the cousins revised their opinion of him when they got a bit older.

June 15, 2006 at 2:41:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I get all tangled up about "truth" and "facts" when it comes to people, e.g., my mother had white hair. My older relatives insist that she had red hair. We're both right. She was 40 when I was born, and I never saw her red hair.

June 15, 2006 at 3:00:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

My father was an alcoholic so things were always lots of fun (yes, that is sarcasm) trying to predict his mood swings. I spent most of my childhood in my bedroom, reading, so there are huge gaping spaces in my memory.

I will never forget when my mother was remodeling the dining room and took down these pictures that had been hanging there for years. There were holes under the pictures. I asked her why and she gave me an incredulous look. "Don't you remember?" she asked. "That's because your father would throw beer bottles at me and miss."

And people wonder why I didn't talk to him for the last three years of his life.

I enjoyed this post - it really makes you think about our memories and how easily they can be skewed.

June 15, 2006 at 4:58:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Is it wrong to remember someone positively and leave out the negatives? I don't really think so. And it can be, at minimum, half-true at least. Now, there is an extreme between remembering a violent, abusive person versus remembering the person who devoted their life to making others smile and caring for those less fortunate. But remembering the person for the kind soul they were 99.9% of the time and omitting the one time they got mad enough to break an object around the house? I don't think that's bad at all.

June 15, 2006 at 9:08:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Zhoen: yes, this surely the same story as FC's father, he was on best behaviour during our visits - or else the rest of the family was and therefore he wasn't provoked by their usual "bad behaviour." Perhaps I would have seen him with different eyes, had he lived. If there is a life after death (which I don't believe), and if the dead no longer bother to tell the lies they lived behind (which I do believe), then I shall have a few questions for him.

Savtadotty: "Many things are true, but The Truth - singular and absolute - does not exist." Some philosopher or other, can't now recall whom. One could get very Proustian about the overlapping stages of people's lives in our memory and others'. People change, has any mother not cried out in exasperation, "But you liked this last week!"?

DM: oh dear, you have my sympathy for that. (Is your gravatar new or have I just never noticed the ducky before?)

Brooksba: at least in my case, it's not that I suppress unpleasantness, I truly never saw it; and never heard of it from anyone until FC and I started talking seriously (when she became a mother). Her brother might well be doing this, and I too would not condemn him for it.

Noorster: thank you.

June 16, 2006 at 1:18:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

The picture is from the morning after Beth and I got extremely drunk back in January. This picture was taken when I was sober. Just call me the duck whisperer.

June 16, 2006 at 4:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home