Saturday, June 03, 2006

Football atheist

The World Cup starts in 5 days and 18 hours, and I am already heartily sick of it. Every shopwindow, every advertisement, every television and radio station, every commerical website is overrun with the damned stuff - and has been since Christmas. The worst came this morning as I was buying treats for the long weekend: soccer boot-shaped chocolates. Kill me now, please.

I avert my eyes and tell myself that this too will pass. Just not soon enough. The city will be impossible for the x weeks that this nonsense is going on, crowds and noise and filth everywhere. Stuttgart is home to group F (Brazil, Croatia, Australia and Japan) which means that we have a disappointingly high chance of being in the thick of the games right up to the quarter-finals. On the other hand, none of these teams is famous for the drunken violence of its fans so it could be much worse.

And these are the last words you shall ever hear from me on the subject.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but thanks to the World Cup, I finally saw a TV documentary on Stuttgart. National Geographic's 'World Cup Cities series'. I saw the Opera and tried to picture you, tried to imagine where you would sit. It was fun.

June 4, 2006 at 10:39:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

I can get behind a football atheist. While the World Cup doesn't get much attention here, I feel the pain. I can't stand the American football season and try to avoid the hype as much as possible.

June 4, 2006 at 11:18:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Okay, 2nd try at commenting...

But futbol is fun to say!

When I read this, I remembered when Beth and I were stuck watching American football and waiting for karaoke to start (the problem with getting your karaoke fix at a sports bar). Beth, in her most sarcastic tone ever, clapped her hands and said "Yay! Football!" It was very amusing. Or maybe you had to be there.

June 7, 2006 at 6:52:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home