Monday, May 22, 2006

Dull

flower

You'd think it would be easy to write one single sentence per day, wouldn't you?

I sit here looking at the screen and cannot think that I did anything today that was not utterly forgettable and insignificant. Lessee, hmm: wrote a few e-mails, went downtown and bought a Monitor Switch, went to work, came home, ate a sandwich, connected the Monitor Switch, it didn't work, disconnected it and packed it up for refund tomorrow morning, read some blogs and left a few comments, wrote this post. To be followed by brushing my teeth and reading in bed for half an hour.

The end.

I don't want to read that, why should you?

Perhaps I could tell you that the streetlight outside my window appears to have burned out just now, while I was writing that sentence. Actually no, the whole length of the street is dark: they've all gone out. Oooh, excitement!

I'm writing on Burton, looking over at the screensaver on Alberich which is playing random slides from my iPhoto library. There's some good stuff in there, if I do say so myself. Reminds me of many pleasant things recently: the train trip in March from Stuttgart (early spring) through Switzerland (dead of winter) to Menton (summer); St. Petersburg two years ago last summer (my sense of time has gone AWOL); a day with Slim and Larry at the petting zoo on the Killesberg; a happy hour on the beach in Venice last year, photographing the tiny perfect waves as they broke an inch high on the sand. Looked just like Venice Beach scaled down by 99%, a mite could have surfed it on a flake of dandruff.

News flash: the streetlights are on again. Order and accord are re-established, trouncing the Second Law of Thermodynamics - for now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I have days that feel just like this ... and there's no cure except the passage of time. The good news is that this cure always works - eventually.

May 22, 2006 at 9:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

What's a monitor switch? Is it to switch the monitor between Burton and Alberich? Inquiring geeky grandmas want to know.

May 22, 2006 at 9:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Mary: yes, it's just a case of the Blahs. They never last long around here.

Savtadotty: almost spot-on, it's to switch the monitor between Alberich and Nina (an old PC). It's actually a KVM switch (keyboard video mouse), to allow you to share one of each of them between 2 computers.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work properly with Alberich: the picture is off-center and reduced in size; more annoying is that it switches back to the PC after a minute, I presume that it is upset by the absence of the second keyboard and mouse (because Macs have USB attachment, not the PS-2 ports that the PC and the Switch use). In any case: doesn't work.

I shall have to buy Alberich a monitor of his own, as soon as the second Hamburg customer actually confirms their order.

May 22, 2006 at 11:08:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I used to have two printers, a laser for black-and-white only, and an ink-jet for color, with a switch between them. Then the laser printer died, and so did my need for it. Petty soon I won't need a printer at all. Now I have a splitter to work with my PC speakers and my headset. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Universal Switch, to connect everything with anything, or better yet, a Universal Splitter?

May 23, 2006 at 12:31:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

I've had many days like this. Sometimes the best thing is to start writing and at least you're getting something out. It's really not that dull.

Very pretty flower. I like it.

May 23, 2006 at 8:28:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Actually, I was amused by the whole streetlight thing.

May 24, 2006 at 6:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home