Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Not dead yet

I am just crawling out from under a minor but prolonged three-day migraine. It's never been as bad as this, nor dragged on as long. Blah. Still experiencing mild nausea and twitchy eyes.

It started in a church (appropriately enough), I was sitting full in the sun and didn't recognize the symptoms when they began.

Slim has found God* and has joined a newfangled non-denominational church, where she was baptised (full-body immersion) on Sunday afternoon. The service was informal: street clothes, no altar, everyone spoke "from the heart" which is understood to mean unscripted and unrehearsed. The audience was very mixed socially, about half ethnic Germans (a very low percentage, Stuttgart is the most ethnically mixed German city at 25% foreigners) and disproportionately many brown faces.

I went along because I felt that I should be there, I think that friends owe each other that much attention and support. Whatever I might think of religion or this particular church, I respect the importance it has for her. (She said after the ceremony, as we were all disbanding, "I'm glad you didn't laugh at this [the church, her conversion] or tell me I was wasting my time." As though I would. If I didn't laugh at her five elements food theory then I surely wouldn't laugh at this.)

There are a few more vague thoughts rolling around my head about belief, religion, God, Jesus and the differences between them; but right now I'm too tired and worried about spending too much time in front of the screen. To be continued.

* He was behind the sofa the whole time.**

** Sorry, I couldn't resist.

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather Cox said...

Hope you're feeling better and hmm better look behind my sofa. Maybe that's what's making those noises I keep hearing in the middle of the night. Looking forward to your thoughts on these things.

May 11, 2006 at 12:09:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

* He was behind the sofa the whole time.**

Eeeeeeeeeeeeh!!!!! Tnx for the laugh, Udge, much needed.

A 3-day migraine, poor thing. You must be feeling like lion's breath now.

May 11, 2006 at 2:56:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

There are now probably more people who consider themselves as religious who don't regularly attend church or religious service than there are those who do. I don't know what to think of it but it's interesting. A lot of people have faith in something but choose not to articulate or discuss it in a public sphere. Is religion becoming obsolete?

Glad for Slim though if this was a good experience for her.

Did you count to 100 before you went looking for God?

May 11, 2006 at 7:44:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Oh, poor Udge. I've been fighting off low level but persistent migrainy symptoms this week. I hope yo9u feel better very soon. There must be something about migraines starting that includes "Denial that it is actually starting." D has learned to remind me "If there is any question, there is no question." Then gets me the impossible-to-open-when-having-a-migraine migraine meds.

I think I know what church she joined. And, well, bravo for your restraint from mockery.

May 13, 2006 at 12:39:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Apparently it helps to relieve migraines if you squeeze the webbing between your index and thumb for approximately 2 minutes.

May 13, 2006 at 7:22:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

I had to smile and giggle a little at the thought of a diety hiding behind the couch. Awesome.

While I'm not a religious person, I agree that it is important to support your friends and if it means participating in something that you normally wouldn't (there is a line - no illegal activities) to show your support, I think that is great and honorable.

I'm glad your migraine is getting better. How awful.

May 13, 2006 at 9:21:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I appreciate your accepting and supporting her. The majority of my friends are either agnostic or athiest and, while they don't share my beliefs, we have had some great conversations about religion. One thing I have learned is that those who don't believe are, 9 out of 10 times, more learned and understanding than those that do believe.

I like to say that I'm more spiritual than religious.

And I love the "He was behind the sofa the whole time." That was awesome!

Sorry about the headache. That bites.

May 14, 2006 at 4:39:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home