Saturday, June 10, 2006

Awake

venus
Awake
Shake dreams from your hair
My pretty child, my sweet one
Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
The day's divinity
First thing you see

Jim Morrison, "Awake" from An American Prayer, one of my many favourite albums

The first thing of significance that I saw, was Venus rising above the rooftops; and I saw it while standing on the balcony recording the dawn chorus on my iPod. It's going to be a good day.

This is therefore not insomnia, but a cheerfully-taken decision to rise quite early. Should I happen to go back to bed afterwards, well: that is to be understood as "taking a nap." (Like I said on Thursday, it's all a matter of adopting the right attitude.)

Today's semi-involuntary early rising is probably self-inflicted, I was up until 3am on Friday morning trying to fix a bug in the Hobbyist demo so that I could send it off today, then had an afternoon nap (yet another day off yesterday, how lazy these Germans are), so my internal clock is surely quite confused.

I know that I promised not to write about the w*rld c*p, but WTH. The German government has decreed that every town and village should celebrate the WM by erecting outdoor video screens in public places, f**tball games for the displaying of; and that these should be opened free of charge to the public. I can't imagine that the TV companies were pleased about this, but some governments do occasionally act against the interests of their rich and powerful friends when the interests of the taxpaying public require it (the gentlest of implied nudges at the Americans' brutal, corrupt and incompetent regime). The first game was played last night, I could tell the score by listening to my neighbours' cries of delight and dismay; and as I was standing on the balcony just now, I heard the last of the stragglers walking home from the victory celebrations.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Don't talk to me about the W*rld C*p ..... aarhgh.

And a belated happy Birthday, Udge.

June 10, 2006 at 10:06:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

I was wanting to stop by and say happy birthday to you.

I wondered if that was Venus I kept seeing. Very cool. I like the picture.

About a year ago, I had work schedule that varied every day. It did its worst on my sleeping habits. I will never get those people who have a varying schedule and are expecting to keep it.

June 10, 2006 at 10:40:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

WHAT?? I missed your birthday?? Oh I am so sorry, I barely have time to read blogs these days, my university seems to have turned exam seasons into one very long exam.

Happy birthday!

Now footb. sucks, it plain sucks rock. We won against Angola yesterday, it would seem, but Loverboy was throroughly disgusted, he says we were awful. And yet the earth goes on turning...

June 12, 2006 at 3:17:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Nice picture - I love the attitude about being an early riser instead of having insomnia. And naps are fun.

June 13, 2006 at 9:20:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home