Sunday, June 11, 2006

Summer office

Laptop, phones and coffee on the balcony.
summerOffice
Originally uploaded by udge.
I'm sitting on the balcony for the first time in 2006, believe it or not; it's been such a miserably cold and wet Spring, but the weather has finally broken. The forecast for the coming week is quite simple: 28° - out at the airport, which equates to about 33° down here in the valley - and sunny every day.

I'm online right now via wireless LAN, my password-protected stealth-mode connection is one of four networks available as I sit here. Only one of the others is password-protected, can people really be so silly or so lazy as to allow this? Lucky for them that I'm honest (and have a flatrate connection) else I'd be blogging on their dime.

Typing outdoors is actually quite hard on my ageing eyes, the contrast between the relative darkness of the screen and the brightly sunlit trees and immaculate blue sky is almost painful.

Otherwise, it's a nice working environment: fresh air, live music (birdsong and church bells, plus occasional gusts of opera from my neighbour's open windows), the Internet at my fingertips, and coffee on the sidetable. I am somehow reminded of Italy, of lazy summer afternoons and that ol' dolce far niente. Sigh. I would be such a great success as a member of the idle rich, I have a fine appreciation of such wonderful moments of sweet nothing.

I forgot to mention the ringing of church bells in last week's list of things I like. And the sound of other people's televisions in the list of things I dislike. It's coming from four houses along, behind the schoolyard, how loud must that be if I can hear it so clearly here? Hell is other people, as Sartre rightly said. "Why do people who play music at a deafening volume always have such poor taste?" "42."

Notwithstanding: Life is great.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger * said...

udge, awesome, I haven't seen such a braunes Rolltablett in 15 years or so, I didn't know they still exist, they really have a certain charme and yes, wireless balcony blogging is fun...

June 11, 2006 at 1:26:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

I do wish I still had a balcony to sit out on. I really miss it during warm summer nights.

As for television, I can barely stand it. The people who live above me seem to love it and seem to enjoy loud action movies the most. I agree that it is an annoyance to listen to other people's television.

June 11, 2006 at 11:08:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Yes, I too go round occasionally mumbling 42, seems to explain everything.

Hi! Blogger's been a litle shit again! But now maybe I'll be able to post a comment.

It does my heart good to imagine you sitting outside, sipping your beverage, working... Birds and bells, isn't that so very German somehow? (How's the reading, btw?)

June 12, 2006 at 3:14:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

I'm glad some folks have not a clue about protecting their wireless. Othewise I wouldn't have had communication with the world for a week after the move. I, of course, only got Vo..., um phone, and email through that, and did not hijack it for spamming.

A day without rain, I'm astonished.

June 12, 2006 at 4:19:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Antonia, my Rolltablett is at least 15 years old, I found it in a secondhand store for only 7 Euros. They aren't made any more, at least not in this style.

A balcony is a wonderful thing, especially if it faces in your preferred direction. Mine gets sun twice a day: for the first 90 minutes or so of daylight, and again from 12:40 to 13:10 as the sun crosses between two buildings; and looks across a treed and grassy schoolyard, rather than the usual view of someone else's balcony a few metres away.

Zhoen, I actually printed a message on my neighbours' unprotected shared printer, warning them that their network was insecure. As yet they haven't fixed it.

Lioness, I'm fighting my way through the list, but don't have much time to read this month. I am way behind target for the Hobbyist project, and the target must be met to get into their winter catalogue. :-(

June 13, 2006 at 12:50:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger * said...

your rolltablett is awesome thats all I can say

June 13, 2006 at 4:16:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I watched an episode of Veronica Mars where one guy got arrested because his neighbor was running a terrorist website off of his unsecured wireless internet. You would think people would realize it's not just the money that could be a problem.

I wish I had a balcony. And a laptop. That would be nice.

June 13, 2006 at 9:22:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home