Monday, June 19, 2006

Rant

My partner's assistant Georgette (think of Ted Baxter) calls to relay a question.

"A customer with a single-seat version wants to be able to access it from two computers, is this possible?"

Sure, but it depends what they have in mind: do they mean simultaneously accessing the database, or just that both of them should be able to use it? The difference costs 2750 Euros.

"Oh, I don't know, I assume they mean simultaneously."

I am unable to restrain a sigh. How often must I repeat that making assumptions is a waste of our time and their goodwill? Never assume anything. If there's a point that you do not understand completely and unequivocally, then ASK THE DAMNED QUESTION and continue to ask it until they answer in a way that is unequivocally clear.

It's funny, people would rather risk annoying a customer by having to phone back for further information, or risk losing a customer by giving them false information, than spend another ninety seconds making sure that both sides have understood each other. What exactly is wrong with clarity?

Draw up close, children, and I'll tell you the great big secret of how to succeed in business - and indeed in life: Ask questions, and then listen to the answers. It's the essence of both sales and customer support - and indeed of friendship.

You have to find out what the (possible) customer wants.

I spend most of my time on customers' sites with my mouth shut and a pencil in hand; even when giving training courses I talk less than 80% of the time, for the rest I let the customers tell me what they want to do. There's no point illustrating your sales pitch by talking about managing a stamp collection, if the customer wants to manage a rubber-ball collection: she won't listen, because you do not address her needs. Find out what her problem is, and then show her how to solve it.

People don't buy features, they buy solutions. They buy "make my problem go away."

Sounds obvious, doesn't it? But I cannot persuade my partner or his assistants to do this. They seem to believe that the customer has to be driven to the sale with pointèd sticks like a sacrificial lamb to the altar. Perhaps it's an alpha-male thing: whoever speaks the most, has the biggest balls?

(It occurs to me while writing this down, that the answer to their question is spelled out completely and unequivocally on our website's FAQ, and also in the application's help files which the user has on his computer. What a waste of time it was to produce these, clearly not even Georgette has read them.)

9 Comments:

Blogger verniciousknids said...

Wise words indeed!

June 20, 2006 at 12:57:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

The Behemoth I work for (I'm sure you've worked out what it is, but don't tell anyone) does virtually everything else wrong. But that one thing, asking the questions & listening to the answers, they do brilliantly, & always have. And that's why they're the Behemoth, and all those companies that produced much better products much more efficiently have gone out of business (or been gobbled up.)

June 20, 2006 at 3:42:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Very wise. Perfectly obvious. And like Common Sense, rare and valuable.

I had a surgeon today repeatedly ask me questions that I was simply going to have to put to the scrub tech who had done all the prep work. I asked him why he didn't ask her.

"Can't you ask her?" He demanded of me.

"Are you shy?" I said. He went and asked her.

June 20, 2006 at 4:01:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Features tell, benefits sell. Yeah, yeah, tell the customer the benefits - you want their attention? Tell them what's in it for them. Ask questions.

Your post reminded me of my job. One of the key things we talk about is open-ended questions and eliminating limiting beliefs and assumptions.

You are very smart and have a great business sense.

June 20, 2006 at 5:58:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Hello Vernicious, welcome to the clubhouse. Grab a tube, the barbie's on. (Japan, eh? interesting...)

Brooksba: alas no, I have a great people sense and a very lousy business sense. I do too many things for free, and undercharge for everything else, because I hate dealing with money.

June 20, 2006 at 9:48:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger John said...

udge wrote: [Draw up close, children, and I'll tell you the great big secret of how to succeed in business - and indeed in life: Ask questions, and then listen to the answers.]

Just the same as success in prayer. So many people forget the second part of the formula.

This is what the LORD says, he who made the earth, the LORD who formed it and established it - the LORD is his name.
"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and
unsearchable things you do not know."
Jeremiah 33:2-3

Like udge said...Ask questions, and then listen to the answers. Well done udge.

June 22, 2006 at 4:10:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Exactly! It is so easy to ask a few probing questions to find out exactly what the customer wants than to just make assumptions because you're worried that they might be offended. Why would anybody be offended about getting the right thing for them?

June 22, 2006 at 4:58:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh. Is her name really Georgette or is it because she reminds you of Georgette? I'm assuming it's the latter but want to make sure I ask to be sure!

June 22, 2006 at 4:58:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

DM: no, I never use real names here (to prevent people googling themselves & finding my blog). Do you remember the 70's Mary Tyler Moore show, where she was assistant producer in a news show? Ted Baxter, the blathering-idiot newscaster, had a girlfriend named Georgette, who is the model for my partner's assistant's name: sweet, gentle, kind, happy, friendly, and quite dim.

June 23, 2006 at 12:32:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home