Sunday, June 18, 2006

Midnight blue

midnight blue sky
midnightBlue_2
Originally uploaded by udge.
It's 22:18 and the sky is still definitely blue, not yet black. Four more days until the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. The living room / office window is wide open to let in the evening cool: 25° and 57% humidity, very pleasant and quite a relief after the heat of the day.

I haven't done a stitch of work this weekend (except for two phone calls and making a set of printing labels) and am pleased to say that it feels great. I don't know when I last granted myself a whole weekend off.

I've spent the weekend reading, mostly on the balcony: finished Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" and now halfway through "Schnappt Chili" ("Be cool" in the original) by Elmore Leonard, the sequel to "Get Shorty" with many of the same cast. Most amusing.

Belated thanks to you all for the birthday greetings, they were much appreciated. (And don't apologise for having missed the date, I didn't give any warning; I seldom do make any fuss over my birthday. This probably is a reaction to years of swallowing down disappointment in my youth: my birthday always came in the middle of final exams, the last thing on anyone's mind was celebrating.)

6 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

Great picture of the night falling. I'm glad you gave yourself the weekend off. You deserve it.

June 19, 2006 at 10:36:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo. How can I get a high res version so that I can print it myself? That is, if you don't mind, of course. Thanks. RFJ

June 20, 2006 at 8:32:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Hey, the Fox is still around. You've been pretty quiet lately, is everything OK?

Send me your e-mail address (mine is top left) and I'll send you the photo as a large JPEG.

June 20, 2006 at 9:57:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger nancy oarneire graham said...

I love the photo.

Happy Solstice.

Do you ever get to Slovenia? My sister is living there. In Ljubljana. She's an ethnomusicologist and you might enjoy taking in a musical event of some kind together.

Happy Birthday.

How was the Gaiman? I haven't read that one. He has a good story in Noisy Outlaws, Unfriendly Blobs, and Some Other Things That Aren't as Scary, Maybe, Depending on How You Feel about Lost Lands, Stray Cellphones, Creatures from the Sky, Parents Who Disappear in Peru, a Man Named Lars Farf, and One Other Story We Couldn't Quite Finish, So Maybe You Could Help Us Out, which I recommend for Gaiman, Kelly Link, Lemony Snicket & George Saunders especially, & is labelled YA, but as I always say, who cares?

I notice we're down to 3 months on the opera countdown. It's been fun counting down with you. Seems only yesterday there were 179 days to go...

June 21, 2006 at 4:26:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

That is a gorgeous photo. Weekends are meant to be spent this way.

June 22, 2006 at 4:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Red: great title! I shall look out for that book.

Slovenia is (in the European state of mind) pretty far away, I've been in the Czech Republic but not there. Should it come up, I'll ask for her contact infos.

June 23, 2006 at 12:42:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home