Wednesday, September 05, 2007

On writing about dreams

The trouble with writing about dreams, is that your thoughts about the dream, the words you find to describe it, thereafter contaminate your memories of the dream.

One remembers the act of writing, the thoughts and images that one had while trying to recall and explain the dream, with at least the same clarity and vividness as the dream itself. It's obvious that this could happen: isn't a dream just thoughts and images?

I was shocked to read Zhoen's comment that the person behind the dream-character that I had called "my lost lover" might have been a child. Characters in dreams are not necessarily whom they appear to be: according to some analysts many dream characters are aspects of oneself that don't get expressed in daily life. I know that and knew that at the time, so what exactly was so disturbing? I think it was the juxtaposition of the words "child" and "lover," strengst verboten and rightly so.

So I reconsidered: where did that word "lover" come from? was it really in Monday night's dream, or rather in Tuesday's blogging? (This is the point at which I realized the extent to which my memory of describing the dream overlays my memory of the dream itself.)

There was certainly nothing (overtly) sexual in the dream, even the nakedness was childlike, Adam-and-Eveish. "Lover" is clearly the wrong word; in the dream she was someone whom I had valued as a dear friend and lost contact with, not someone with whom I had had a sexual relationship. The emphasis should have been on the word "lost."

Bygones. Next up.

In other news I switched the central heating on this morning. Winter has arrived, to mingled cheers and boos.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Oh, Udge, I'm so sorry to have upset you. I meant nothing inappropriate, even within the confines of the dream. Only that, in dreams, such sensuality can use the images of both sex and children, and still be wholly innocent. Yourself as a child, holding an adult without boundaries. I imagined how I hugged my much older brothers, the sensuality was mine, nothing abusive from them.

The lost may be found.

September 5, 2007 at 2:37:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Zhoen, it's OK. I didn't think that you meant actual child abuse. I've rewritten both pieces slightly, trying to get closer to what I really meant to say.

September 5, 2007 at 5:20:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Philip said...

Central heat? It's 97 degrees F here and it's 7 p.m.

September 6, 2007 at 12:44:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Um, yes, still hit 40c here today.

Please come by for a swim - pool temp is still 37

September 6, 2007 at 6:59:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Stop it, the pair of yez, you'll make me cry.

September 7, 2007 at 1:13:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home