Thursday, August 30, 2007

Sticky

Spent the day with G, U and her parents, painting the walls of their new office. This wasn't intended to happen, they had thought when viewing the space full of furniture that it was good enough to leave "as is;" but seeing it empty last night when they picked up the keys, they realized that it was just too dirty to be comfortable in.

We took down a supernumary cable tray and filled the resulting holes, taped the floor and ceiling edges all around (we didn't paint the ceiling), then broke for coffee. G spent the day painting the short "signature wall" by the entrance bright red (two coats) while I did all the rolling on every other wall and U's father painted the wall edges at floor and cable tray. G was still unsatisfied with his red wall, so I rollered it again and it turned out perfect: seamless and even, bright saturated red. Partly the effect of the third coat, but also the justly famous Udge Rolling Technique. At the risk of seeming immodest, I have to state that I am one of the world's best painters (wall and ceiling, not canvas). Sorry, the technique is a family secret that I dare not divulge.

U's parents are of German stock but grew up in Rumania (fairly common, actually: the Austro-Hungarian Empire spread Germans throughout Eastern Europe, many of whom returned or were expelled to Germany after the war). At one point, U's mother said to her husband, "Look at Udge go! He's working like a Greek." How odd: to the Rumanians, the Greeks were models of industry and skill, whereas to an Englishman raised on the Durrell brothers and their ilk, they are slow, lazy and slipshod.

In any case: I am now sticky with paint and pleasantly tired. I shall sleep well tonight (tempting fate).

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Ooooh, my new computer room needs painting. I can provide lodging and soup. Interested?

August 31, 2007 at 12:00:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Oh, wish you'd mentioned it whil here, who needs to cavort around Lisbon when you can paint a bedroom?

[Did, you know, all these years I thought it was ROmania!]

August 31, 2007 at 12:05:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

You do bedrooms too? (well, I guess it depends on who is in the bedroom)

August 31, 2007 at 12:10:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Is it a Secret, famous Udge Rolling Technique?

August 31, 2007 at 3:51:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Clever Zhoen spots the apparent contradiction. That I have a marvellous technique for rolling is justly famous; exactly what that technique is, is a secret.

Joe: sure, it's all good.

Lioness: both are common. Rumanians spell it with a "u" when talking amongst themselves. Pity that you didn't mention that your bedroom needed painting.

Savtadotty: very interesting, I have wanted to attend a soup salon since you first mentioned them. But it won't be in 5767 unless I win the lottery this weekend.

August 31, 2007 at 8:47:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger nn said...

You're a nice boy indeed.
I like people who can do at least one thing very well, no matter what it is.

August 31, 2007 at 5:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Udge, you're an Anglo, and yet you didn't answer my bidet question.

[That was harsh. HARSH!]

August 31, 2007 at 8:45:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Not harsh, just shy and prudish. I overcame my reluctance and good breeding long enough to post an answer. I hope the subject is now closed?

August 31, 2007 at 10:42:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

See, we seemed to be discussing different bidets. Ours are perfectly normal, with faucets, nothing remotely kinky abt them. Talking to Manuela was the thing that opened my eyes - and yes, I agree with you that Anglo bidets are disturbing.

Sorry, didn't mean to embarrass you.

September 1, 2007 at 5:15:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Dahling, you didn't embarrass me at all, I was pulling your leg.

September 1, 2007 at 10:18:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

So. My sense of humour is still partially missing. Brilliant.

September 1, 2007 at 11:49:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

May: thank you (missed this earlier, sorry).

Lioness: we love you even without it :-)

September 2, 2007 at 12:19:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home