Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sigh.

There was a scene in Dances with wolves that's stayed in my memory (many, actually, but this in particular): after the great big celebration which followed the buffalo hunt, Dunbar goes back to his station and is so damned sad and lonely that he builds a huge fire and dances around it on his own, trying to relive the feeling of being amongst his friends. Do you remember that?

Well, I bought myself a packet of Ingrid's favourite cookies this afternoon.

(No, it's not as bad as that sounds. I am settling in and am moderately content, happy even, to be home again. It just came as something of a melancholy surprise to realize why I had been moved to purchase these particular cookies, which I've never bought before.)

Autumn is approaching: the chestnuts are big and brown, the first leaves turning colours, the air crisp and cool. I slept with the window ajar last night, which I've never done before because I always expected that the traffic noise would keep me awake. Nonsense: I slept as well as ever, and enjoyed the cool night air to boot. I wonder: how many other unexamined "expecteds" are there cluttering up my life?

In other news I really really want one of these. Courtesy of the Sloth.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger nn said...

Sweet...
Perhaps you can stay in touch with her.

August 28, 2007 at 10:48:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

I understand.

Pruning is vital.

Sent that link to a friend who loves bunnies, tolerates (grudgingly likes) Moby; hates cats. (For good reasons, detests dogs for even more reason.)

August 29, 2007 at 1:56:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

(Sheepishly getting back into blogging...)

Sleeping with the window open is something I've also assumed would bother me - I should try it. I've always been afraid it would start raining and that I'd forget to close the window. Hmm. Glad you enjoyed it.

August 29, 2007 at 11:09:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Geosomin said...

oooh...a talking blinking bunny.
joy!
Sleeping with the window open is always a good thing. We live near a freeway and I still do - I sleep so much more contentedly that way

August 29, 2007 at 4:36:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Ah, the season of sentimentality! Fall must be reaching you faster on that side of the world than here. It's still 30 degree celciusish. Enjoy those moments alone celebrating the memory of others. So the cookies were good? Sometimes you just need to sit out on your rocking chair watching the leaves fall.

August 29, 2007 at 5:27:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

May: it's up to her, but I shall certainly try.

Zhoen: pruning. Hmmm. Interesting concept.

Brooksba: welcome back, nice to see that you are still around.

Geosomin: traffic noise is the problem here too, but of a different kind. I think a freeway would perhaps be less disturbing than an intermittently driven-upon street, because the continuous dull roar would have a numbing white-noise effect. But as I said, it isn't a problem at all. I have more trouble sleeping at my sister's house, where there is absolutely no outdoor noise at all from 10pm until 7am: the silence disturbs me.

SB: the cookies were very good, thanks; but it's getting too cold to sit outside. The summer office has been dismantled for the season.

August 29, 2007 at 8:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

I WANT ONE TOO! I NEED ONE! MUST HAVE! MUUUUUST HAAAAVE!!!!!!!!!!

I hate you now, you have ruined me.

August 29, 2007 at 11:36:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

heheheh.

August 31, 2007 at 8:54:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home