Monday, August 27, 2007

Vollmondwanderung

trees reflected in pond
bärensee_reflection
Originally uploaded by udge
Walking with Princess at the Bärensee again this evening, talking at length about life and friends and how many of us seem to be in danger of shipwreck.

We saw parhelia just before sunset (P had never seen them before, to my astonishment) then watched the bright orange harvest moon rising over the lake as we turned south to go home. I took a dozen moon-over-the-water shots, all utter crud: unfocussed and blurry from my shaky hands and the long exposure. Sigh.

In the absence of photos: get up from the computer, dear reader, go outside and look at the full moon, and be reminded that life is good.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Supposed to have a full lunar eclipse out here at 1:30am. Doubt if I'll be awake to see it after last night's thunderstorms and scared dog.

August 28, 2007 at 6:49:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Yes, even though a full moon always makes EVERYTHING worse.

And oh bloody hell, BLOODY HELL, just realised I missed being able to see Mars yesterday, it was supposed to look like the earth had 2 moons, now I'll have to wait till 2282.

August 28, 2007 at 3:48:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Joe: I'm not sure that I'd get up then to watch an eclipse either, even without a scared dog.

Lioness: unless Lisboa has especially intrusive nighttime lighting, you should be able to see Mars at least half of the year if you know where to look. It's in Aldebaran this week, and will rise in the eastnortheast between midnight and 1am. You'll see it glowing orange-red about a fist high above the horizon. And re the special time to see it: I'm sorry to say that it's a hoax, read the debunking here.

August 28, 2007 at 7:04:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Oh excellent! I assumed they meant that day you could see it as big as the moon - am much happier now! YEY! It was a hoax!

But actually Lisbon does have almost zero gazing potential, due to all the lights. Sad.

August 29, 2007 at 11:40:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

I've never seen a parhelion either. Since it seems to be an atmospheric ice crystal thing I would have expect them to be a high latitude phenomenon like auroras. I've seen (rather unimpressive auroras) in Scotland but never a sun-dog. I'll just have to make it up to the Arctic some time. Well, I do have a friend in the Yukon....

September 3, 2007 at 3:42:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home