Saturday, May 05, 2007

Grey

The weather has broken after six weeks of sun and warmth, today started cool and is now positively cold with high winds darkening grey skies; rain is not far off, and I have the headache to prove it. Ah well.

I went downtown to do the rounds of my weekend stores and people, saying my goodbyes for the next month. I bought a proper trecking backpack, thermos bottle and high-tech socks today, plus some spare laces just in case. I feel a bit of a fraud investing in all this hiking technology as though I were going to go on a proper expedition, when in fact there is a good hotel waiting at the end of each day and a bus to carry the luggage, on which one may sit in comfort if the walking becomes a bore. I have given myself permission in advance to use the bus whenever I feel the desire to do so, or have no interest in walking.

This odd not-wanting-to-go-on-holiday mood that I wrote about yesterday has its own strange tides and currents. At this moment, I want nothing more than to go right now without waiting for Thursday; the thought of spending five more days here seems like a prison sentence. I have absolutely no desire to work at the architects' (though I will on Monday and Tuesday) and claim to be unable to find anything to do on the database (though another part of my mind knows that there is a four-page list of improvements and open bug reports).

I picked up my new/old iPod ("Trixie") from the shop yesterday, and loaded up a first batch of music (plus my addressbook and calendar, natch). I walked around town this morning to the sound of Glenn Gould playing Liszt's solo piano transcription of Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony, which was just wonderful (the experience and the music both). I had to restrain myself forcibly from laughing for joy and singing along to music that only I could hear. Thank you, Steve.

And, just because I'm in a musical mood, here's a song for Saturday from this CD. Thank you, Emma.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Change is always a bit painful, even welcome, good change. Vacations, perhaps because they are supposed to be wonderful, are especially fraught.

I always get very anxious about trips, and it's all I can do not to cancel, every time.

Nothing wrong with proper preparations, good shoes and such, even if you are not hiking Everest, as it were. Enjoy.

May 5, 2007 at 7:56:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger nn said...

You're not the only one to go through these weird stages before leaving for a vacation: packing makes me truly nauseous and I keep telling myself that what I need the most is to relax at home. When I am close to coming back home I wish that the last day did not exist and would leave earlier if it was possible. But I do enjoy the time between leaving and coming back and hopefully it is the same for you.

May 6, 2007 at 6:31:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger * said...

glad you enjoy the Beethoven. it truly is a great piece.

May 7, 2007 at 2:33:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home