Thursday, April 26, 2007

One of the signs of getting older

... is that it gets increasingly difficult to work long late-night sessions on the computer, and that the day after such a session is pretty much wasted. I feel slow, stodgy and weak; my throat hurts, my back hurts; it would kill me to walk a mile in the sun today.

Was it worth working until 1:16 yesterday night / this morning to fix that problem? The honest answer is probably "no," I could have gone to bed at midnight having possibly identified it (with a high degree of certainty), had a good night's sleep, and continued checking and fixing it this morning; and if I'd done so I would probably be at the same point in the process that I now am, but with much more energy and bushytailedness.

I'm seriously considering going back to bed for an hour.

(Rewriting the third On violence and civil society post will have to wait for the weekend, I have neither time, energy nor the mental acuity for such work today. It's a good thing that architecture doesn't require thought.)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Go take a nap. Only wish I could.

April 26, 2007 at 12:03:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

No, no. This is a sign of getting sense, not of getting older. The two just happen to coincide sometimes.

April 26, 2007 at 7:29:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger * said...

poor udge..looks a bit like 'peace of mind' vs. 'regular working times'....I know all about it

April 26, 2007 at 11:08:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Zhoen: it's the best part of being self-employed.

Dale: very true. Unfortunately, as with too much alcohol, one only recognizes the essential futility afterwards.

Antonia: yes, that's the reason: "Are you sure that you've found the problem?"

April 27, 2007 at 10:28:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home