Friday, May 04, 2007

Last Friday before Spain

I've noticed that the excitement leading up to a holiday often tips over into not wanting to go, and realize that I am currently approaching this point. It all seems like such an imposition; such a great effort seems to be required, out of proportion to the anticipated fun.

Why do I worry so much about such absurd things? Why do I anticipate being disappointed?

During the last few weeks I have listened often, usually late at night, to a CD that I bought a year ago and put aside as "too strange." About once a month I would play it, and each time I liked it a little better—which might be simply expressed as having understood it a little better. I have become fascinated by the work, and would love to experience a full eight-hour (!) overnight performance; for the meantime this double CD does well. (There's also a six-hour TV recording of a performance in the Temple Church, where the CD was recorded.) Today's Friday Favourite is a song from early in the cycle. It's not untypical of the whole, I particularly liked the interplay of the three bass voices with the choir. Crank this one up very loud indeed.

Shabbat shalom, my dears.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

You know, when I was schlepped to Barcelona - and the careful phrasing will show you immediately how thrilled I was - I felt exactly the same way. I truly, truly, truly did NOT feel like going, at all. Well, in my case it was a bit of a self-fulfilled doom bcs I was expecting to love the city and didn't quite, and the food - oh vile vile vile. Plus I was exhausted from exams and all we did was walk, walk, walk.

But mostly I think this is the problem: when people work a lot and are forced to keep working even during that time which should be theirs (i.e. at home, weekends) they resent having plans for the holidays, even if they sound like fab plans.

FWIW, I think you will be moved by the Santiago experience. I hear the energy in the place is incredible - it has to be, right? Millions of people have been going there for years, praying and hoping and genuinely believing or at the very least being interested - it's bound to leave a residual something. I know it did in Fatima (was schlepped there as well), but Fatima I found appalling, all those people inching forward on their bleeding knees, many only able to go on helped by paramedics but still on their bleeding knees...

But I empathise, I do. And I hope you will have a most blog-worthy time. And then, I truly, truly, TRULY hope you enjoy your last 5/6 as much. I am a bit scared you might not myself.

May 5, 2007 at 11:18:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Oh, that final sixth worries me the least, I am quietly confident that everything will be fine.

May 5, 2007 at 3:22:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home