Sunday, January 21, 2007

Stage fright

I was reading today's secrets, and came across a group of e-mail messages in response to this:
Tonight is my first night as stage manager. I've never been so scared in my whole life. So what did I do before I left? I looked at postsecret. If they're brave enough to send in their secrets to the world, I can be brave enough to do this show.

Two other stage managers responded saying "yeah, me too—after seven years."

I used to give training courses at a computer company in the west of England, and although I loved training I too never got over the first-day-jitters. Even after five years of teaching at least seven days out of every fifteen, I still spent the hour before the start of each new session on the toilet.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

I still feel that way when facing a large case that I have not done often.

January 21, 2007 at 10:40:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

I get that feeling at the beginning of every presentation. The only thing I've found to help is preparation.

January 22, 2007 at 1:48:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New things scare me too but rarely they are connected to work. Teaching is such a great part of what I do for living that being in class, regardless of how many I have in front of me, is but a pleasure. I was going to say that once you get used to do something, the fear disappears, although your post seems to say the contrary. Perhaps you didn't have the time to get used to it.

January 22, 2007 at 6:56:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home