Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Halfway

This "posting every day" business is both harder and easier than I expected it would be. I had expected that I'd be struggling to make myself write, but that has been quite easy, I have sometimes held myself back from posting several times per day. The early days of NaBloPoMo were pretty liberating, the discipline of writing something - anything, damn it - every day presented a flood of possible topics, most of which I didn't use and have since forgotten. The pressure to post defuses the pressure to write world-changing, meaningful tracts - which I can't do anyway.

The hard part is simply the enormous amount of time that this takes. I spend about an hour on each post, believe it or not, and many are edited several times during the following days.

It's like daily meditation, which is something else that I don't do nearly as often as I wish I did. Once I got over the idea that it had to be the very first thing I did each day, it became much easier to find the time to sit. Perhaps there is a similar lesson to be applied to blogging? "Less perfectionism = more fun" or some such thing.

But the habit of daily posting is a good one, and as Joe in Vegas commented I will keep up the pace; perhaps not every single day but far more often than I have posted previously.

Fifteen down, fifteen - or infinity - to go.

7 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Less perfectionism = More Fun. Can I have a T-shirt with that motto?

November 15, 2006 at 11:25:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Why do good habits feel so hard to start, and keep?

This is the real reason I am doing nanowrimo again, to get into the habit of writing every day.

November 15, 2006 at 11:55:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

This is great, I feel connected all around the world. Savtadotty is thinking about lunch, Zhoen has just come in from night shift.

Savtadotty: coming soon!

Zhoen: perhaps it's an innate fear of success & happiness?

November 15, 2006 at 12:01:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

NaBloPoMo has been a fun experience. I used to write something, anything, once a day and had gotten out of the habit. There is something comforting about sitting down, writing for a bit and also catching up on others. Like you, I'm glad for this month and think I'm going to try and continue. It is like daily meditation.

November 15, 2006 at 8:54:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I like the idea of the t-shirt. Or maybe a notebook I can use for keeping track of my blogging.

Keem asked me once why I reread my posts after I had written them and I explained it very simply. 9 out of 10 times I've pushed publish and will later find that I spelled a word correctly but it makes absolutely no sense or I left out something kind of important. I'm good at proofreading but I gave it up for blogging. I've noticed that my words flow much easier when I'm not concentrating on spelling and grammar. I'm much more concerned when I'm leaving comments on someone's site, though!

November 17, 2006 at 6:33:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger John said...

Well I certainly enjoy catching up with your postings whenever I can. You lead a good life.

November 17, 2006 at 8:45:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Thank you, Lord, I do try to :-)

November 17, 2006 at 10:34:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home