Thursday, November 09, 2006

Dead Democrat beats live Republican incumbent

An amusing and highly significant story to come out of the American elections is that of Marie Steichen, who died of cancer in September but nonetheless beat the Republican incumbent in Jerauld County, South Dakota.

The voters were said to have been aware that she was dead, thank you for asking, but determined to make a change. Given that the local Democrats were apparently unable to field an alternative candidate on only two months' notice, I think that I too would have voted dead rather than appearing to support an arrogant, ignorant, corrupt and fanatical government. Because you know that is how it would be spun: every remaining Republican dogcatcher or streetsweeper is even now being claimed as direct support for Shrub's person and policies. Hell if I'd let him think that of me.

Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin.

Nine down, twenty-one to go.

7 Comments:

Blogger mark drago said...

ah, those crazy americans!

November 9, 2006 at 3:05:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, sweet! I love it! That makes me a bit happier, after my stupid state decided to re-elect our stupid republican, liar of a govenor and Wisconsin passed a ban against gay marriage which will effect civil unions as well. This brought a smile to my face.

November 9, 2006 at 7:20:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I voted for one Republican for the Senate, but in Maine, our Republicans are basically just like the "new, improved" Democrats. And our Democrat of a governor (who was re-elected) screwed up the economy beyond repair (almost). But, the Republican running against him wasn't a typical Maine Republican - he was a wingnut and I was glad to see that he almost came in third.

November 9, 2006 at 7:22:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

I saw this story and I was laughing all day about it. Funny thing is, this is not the first (nor probably the last) election here that a dead candidate won. It's gotta sting to lose to a dead person.

November 9, 2006 at 9:01:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Did they stuff the Dem, and let them sit in on meetings and vote?

November 10, 2006 at 12:43:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

It's not really so much about Republicans, although I'm not one of those I can at least see their point. It's the religious right-wing nutjobfuckwits Repubicans that I want expelled from Earth. I'm not exactly a Democrat either, since they just eat each other for not being the right flavor of Democrat, but they are a few steps closer to being Liberal, without being Libertarians (who are irrational nutjobfuckwits.)

Still, glad they voted the dead chick in. And I have been harboring faint whiffs of hope this week.

November 11, 2006 at 3:36:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

nutjobfuckwits

Love it!

November 12, 2006 at 10:05:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home