Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Speed dating and other matters

NaBloPoMo devil
I had an extremely shitty day at the office yesterday, which I don't wish to talk about. Negativity is insidious and contagious, it's difficult to be around such people without being pulled down to their level - or rather without willingly diving down to join them in the ooze. Pah. Enough.

The day (yesterday) was rescued at the last moment by a speed dating event in a local theatre club cum bar (quite a nice place, actually, I should go there more often i.e. at all). I don't know (obviously!) whether you have ever tried speed dating, dear reader, but it is quite amusing and interesting, and also very revealing about oneself. The idea is simple: two strangers, a table, a question set by the organizer, talk amongst yourselves, eight minutes later "ding!" goes the bell, one of the strangers moves on to another table and another stranger sits down at this table, rinse and repeat. At the end of the evening, one ticks "yes" or "no" beside the names of the datees, and in case of a match (yes meets yes) e-mail addresses are forwarded.

There were eighteen of us, nine dates, and I was surprised to note how different the sessions were. It is quite well possible to get an idea of the basic shape of somebody's personality in only eight minutes of guided conversation. Some flowed without effort from the get-go, others needed a push to get them moving, and in one case it was obvious before the question was set that we wouldn't get on. I wonder about that, what exactly made it so clear that the date wasn't going to work. We might as well have just said "goodbye" the instant I sat down - and yes, it was very clearly mutual!

After the dates, most of the group convened in the bar for more chat and a few beers. I sat with the organizer, the woman who ran a seminar that I attended last year. We talked about their winter programme, and I signed up for a four-day seminar and party over the New Year.

I walked home after midnight, very late for me, preceded by my shadow cast by the moon. Such a nice thing to see, there can't be all that much wrong in the world if there is still a moon and it still casts shadows.

G and U were in deepest Bavaria today at a site meeting, so I had the day to myself - and spent it quite pleasantly reading Terry Pratchett's Going Postal, drinking coffee and generally not being harrassed and hounded.

Eight down, twenty-two to go.

7 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Eight days, congratulations.
And just how many compatible Yes checks did you get? (we know it wasn't nine)

November 9, 2006 at 5:25:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Queen Geek said...

Hello, fellow NaBloPoMo blogger!

I've always wondered about speed dating events. In a po-dunk town like mine they don't happen very often. I watched one once, and it was painful. How many dates did you get out of it?

November 9, 2006 at 6:50:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Two. We shall see what comes of it.

QG, I wonder about the organization of the event that you saw. In the first place IMHO it shouldn't be a spectator sport but should have happened behind closed doors; secondly the organizers were at fault in not stressing that it should be non-judgemental and relaxed. Every person is worth eight minutes of your time, just talk to them as though you were both normal human beings.

I think the name "speed dating" carries the wrong connotations, it's not a date but a conversation, a way of breaking the ice without investing a whole evening and which might possibly lead to a date.

November 9, 2006 at 11:08:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your two new friends! As long as you will have met someone who is going to become relevant to your life, it will be a success. From some people's perspective, a "real success" would imply getting quickly married and becoming a parent. I do not agree.

November 9, 2006 at 3:42:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I've often wondered about how speed dating would turn out. I've seen a couple "epsiodes" of it but it was in two different movies so I'm not quite sure how real it was portrayed.

I've never had the desire to try it, of course, once a woman hits a certain weight, she's more than aware that blind dating, etc., isn't really going to work in her favor. I figure I'll meet the guy of my dreams when I'm in my 80's, at least if the dreams I've had in the past come true.

November 9, 2006 at 7:17:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the day, Udge. Was there some work-thing going around on Tuesday? It's enough to make me believe in astrology, almost.

Good luck with the dates. I've always wondered about speed dating - let us know how they go. ;)

November 9, 2006 at 7:20:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

Speed dating is an interesting idea. Don't know if I'd be brave enough to try it out someday. At least it sounds like you had a decent time.

November 9, 2006 at 9:05:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home