Monday, November 13, 2006

Blah

Had I not taken on this absurd challenge I would be brushing my teeth already. Tired, tired, tired. I've had a hard day down the coal mine.

28.

Actually, it was a good day, I shouldn't complain. I sent off the application to renew my Canadian passport which expired, er, several years ago. What can I say, I use the English one all the time and just didn't notice. I even use it when going to Canada because I've noticed that having a Canadian passport does not get you one single picocurie of better treatment at the airport (meaning the Canadian customs and immigration trolls) so why bother carrying both? I went to the post office in the new downtown mall, and got there a quarter hour before it opened (over an hour after my local had opened, c'est la vie) so had a (huge, flavourless, burned milk) cappuchino and a (dry, crumbly, crusty) croissant while waiting.

157.

After that, out into the country (a suburb) to B's offices to discuss putting in a network and new computers. Then back to Stuttgart for an afternoon at the architects, where nobody threw anything the whole afternoon long!

195.

On my way home, I passed by our usual Stehcafé at the Hölderlinplatz and saw that the lights were on (odd, it's lunchtime only) so looked in. Marco was having an after-hours drink with a few friends, and waved me in. We spent a pleasant half-hour drinking prosecco and rehashing the Leitkultur debate (more on this anon). His wife dropped in on her way back from exercising the dog, so I got to meet her too. Then ran to the shop, four minutes before closing time, to grab a pizza for dinner and cereal for tomorrow morning.

293.

The reason I'm counting words is that I have signed up for ReviewMe after reading about it chez Savtadotty. It sounds like money for old rope to me, given that I write mini-reviews all the time for free anyway. They stipulate that the review must be at least 200 words long, and I wasn't sure whether that would be difficult or not.

345.

It'll be a breeze.

350.

I'm SMS'ing with one of the women from the speed dating evening while writing this, trying to arrange an alternative date for lunch (she can't make Wednesday, I can no longer make tomorrow which was to have been our fallback). Her last message was "OK CU LGA." Now that's compression!

402.

Thirteen down, seventeen to go.

7 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

What is LGA? I'm missing the abbreviation.

Your afternoon sounds charming. What fun!

November 13, 2006 at 11:40:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

Friday's always a good lunch day :)

November 14, 2006 at 7:52:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger * said...

hi Utsch. I know this is something completely different, but what is an udge? Are there more of them and do all the other udges also blog?

November 14, 2006 at 9:11:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

"LG" is an abbrevation that every German-speaker knows, so it didn't occur to me to translate this. Sorry. It stands for "Liebe Grüße" which is the standard happy-friendly-personal sign-off on a letter. "A" is her initial.

The world is full of udges, as you'll see if you google it. Most of them are decapitated judges due to misspelling or fancy capital letters in news items. As far as I know, I am the only true Udge. (The name derives from two sources: the common expression "a nudge and a wink" see top left, and a family in-joke from when my sister's kids were younger.)

November 14, 2006 at 9:32:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a ha
thanks for the explanation...somehow I had the image in mind of you hibernating among with other udges in little stylish apple computers and secretly listening to wagner....

November 14, 2006 at 7:16:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Udges don't hibernate, we love winter!

November 15, 2006 at 12:11:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Love Large? Am I translating that correctly? It's probably love you lots in American, right? I may have to pick that up, I have a tendency to steal words and sprinkle them throughout my emails, I will alternate between ciao and beijos on occasion.

November 17, 2006 at 4:57:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home