Saturday, July 08, 2006

Twenty-five (the music quiz)

[Updated July 14, Bastille Day] Entries have dried up, so I'll post the remaining six answers. That was a lot of fun, thanks for playing.

I saw this chez Rob and thought I'd play along. Here are the first lines of the first twenty-five non-instrumental English-language songs that my iPod presented on random shuffle mode. (There are a few more rules than that: the lyric can't contain the title of the song or the name of the album, and only one song per artist.)

Your challenge, dear readers, is to identify the title and artist. Post your answers (or guesses) in the comments, and I'll mark the lines as people identify them (without links to their blogs, 'cause (a) I'm lazy, and (b) you can find that in the comments). Some are embarrassingly easy, some are just embarrassing, and one is very nearly impossible. Off you go!

(Googling the lyrics when you haven't a clue is cheating, that should be obvious. Googling the name of a song when you can't remember the name of the band is OK; however if by doing so you find out that it was something quite different, then I for one would feel honour bound not to submit that. Looking up a CD on Amazon when you can't remember the name of a track is fair play.)

1. And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
Talking Heads, "Once in a lifetime" - Alan

2. Before you go, do me a favour
    Get me a number
    Of a girl almost like you
Iggy Pop, "Mass Production"

3. Blessed are the poor in spirit
Arvo Pärt, "The Beatitudes" - Rob

4. Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called "life"
Prince, "Let's go crazy" - Rob

5. Drive boy dog boy dirty numb angel boy
Underworld, "Born slippy" - Snowqueen

6. Farmer Emmerich went into his barn
Nick Cave, "The fable of the brown ape" - Rob

7. Five names that I can hardly stand to hear
    Including yours and mine
    And one more chimp who isn't here
Steely Dan, "Bad sneakers"

8. Get up in the morning, slaving for bread sir
Desmond Dekker, "The Israelites" - Alan

9. Go to sleep little baby
Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, & Gillian Welch, "Didn't leave nobody but the baby" - Brooksba

10. Haven't seen you in quite a while
      I was down the hold, just passing time
      Last time we met was a low-lit room
      We were as close together as bride and groom
U2, "Until the end of the world" - Noorster

11. I really don't mind if you sit this one out
Jethro Tull, "Thick as a brick" - Dale

12. I saw the man at J.F.K.
      He took your ticket yesterday
      In the [title]
Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum" - Alan

13. I've been working from seven to eleven every night
      It really makes my life a drag
      I don't think that's right
Led Zeppelin, "Since I've been loving you"

14. I've got a girl and Ruby is her name
Donald Fagen, "Ruby Baby" - Joe in Vegas

15. In the dark, where all the fevers grow
Frank Zappa, "Stink-Foot" - Rob

16. Nineteen-forty
Steve Reich, "Europe - during the war" - Rob

17. Quiet nights of quiet stars
      Quiet chords on my guitar
      And this window that looks out on [title]
Antonio Carlos Jobim, "Corcovado" - Rob, who correctly points out that the common English title is "Quiet nights of quiet stars." How embarrassing!

18. Summertime always gives me the blues
      Thinking about the things we used to do
      Watching lovers in the park making love so free
      And now i realize there's only me
Massive Attack, "Lately" - Noorster

19. Sunday morning, no-one to love you
Sunday's Child, "Bacuzzi" - withdrawn, I screwed up and posted the title instead of the band name in the clues. Duh

20. Turn off the TV, karaoke the lights
      Turn off the labels, the silicon chip bytes
      We won't have to use an umbrella tonight
      We'll just feel the rain
Earl Zinger, "Thames krokadiles"

21. We climbed and we climbed
      Oh, how we climbed
      My, how we climbed
Brian Eno, "Taking Tiger Mountain (by strategy)"

22. Well, I've built me a raft and she's ready for floating
      Ole Mississippi she's calling my name
      Catfish are jumping, that paddlewheel's thumping
The Doobie Brothers, "Black water" - Carpe DM

23. You burden me with your questions
EMF, "Unbelievable" - Anxious

24. You got a great car, yeah what's wrong with it today
The Dandy Warhols, "Bohemian like you" - Anxious

25. You have turned into a prayer
      I can feel I'm almost there
      Closer, closer to the top
      But lookin' down is such a drop
Material, "Let me have it all"

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, having fun with these this weekend.

Number 1 is Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads - and Number 8 is The Israelites by Desmond Dekker.

July 9, 2006 at 12:16:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

Until I checked back on my blog I got very confused, but it was Tim, not you, who had failed to recognise "Excentrifugal Forz" in my first 25 on account of not owning "Apostrophe". #15, of course, is "Stink-Foot" by Frank Zappa, from that wonderful album.

Others may occur to me.....

July 9, 2006 at 3:19:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

11 is Jethro Tull, "Thick as a Brick." (are there tracks on that album? I remember it as all one big thing, with that extraordinary drummer bridging each tune into the next...)

July 9, 2006 at 3:30:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Well done, chaps! We're off to a good start.

Dale, there are two tracks on the cd, corresponding to the two sides of the LP. Now that you mention it, I am somewhat disappointed that they didn't embrace the technology and blend over this gap too.

Rob, I missed "Excentrifugal Forz" too. I'm not a great Zappa fan, I know this from "You can't do that on stage any more Vol 2".

July 9, 2006 at 6:43:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#4 is a Prince song from the Purple Rain soundtrack. Can't remember the song.

July 9, 2006 at 8:41:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Brooklyn Fox is right about Prince. I thought "1999."

#9 - Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby - Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, & Gillian Welch

This is fun. I'm going to have to do this!

July 9, 2006 at 10:08:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Brooklynfox, you're almost there. Name that tune.

Beth, got it.

July 9, 2006 at 9:57:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rayya Ghul said...

Number 5 is Underworld, 'Born Slippy'

(having just got off the motorway listening to Cowgirl at full blast!)

July 9, 2006 at 10:30:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Well done, Snowqueen.

July 9, 2006 at 11:05:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Anxious said...

23 is "You're unbelievable" by EMF I think

July 10, 2006 at 12:11:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Anxious, you're right.

July 10, 2006 at 9:30:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Anxious said...

24 is "Bohemian like you" by... ummm... thingy

*resists the urge to google it*

Great track, though!

July 10, 2006 at 11:48:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Is 18 Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams?

July 11, 2006 at 6:24:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Never mind that. I don't think that is right.

July 11, 2006 at 6:26:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Anxious: "thingy"?! oh well, that's close enough.

Brooksba: you're right, it isn't.

July 11, 2006 at 7:17:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

Thanks for the hints. #16 is Part 2 (Europe-During the War) of "Different Trains" by Steve Reich.

And while I don't know the piece, I see there is an Arvo Part setting of "The Beatitudes" which (if it's in English) I guess is #3.

July 12, 2006 at 6:01:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

And #4 is "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince

July 12, 2006 at 6:06:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

And, and, #6 is "Fable Of The Brown Ape" by Nick Cave, from Abattoir Blues.

Don't think I'm going to get any more though.

July 12, 2006 at 6:15:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Well done, Rob!

July 12, 2006 at 9:23:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD. I have no idea how I missed #10. Until the end of the world by U2, of course. Of course. Duh!

July 12, 2006 at 10:20:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Well done, Noorster! I'm glad that somebody got that, because "Until the end of the world" is one of my favourite films - and a damned fine soundtrack too: Talking Heads, kd lang and Jane Siberry, Nick Cave, Daniel Lanois and many more.

July 12, 2006 at 1:39:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, because I'm on a roll, #18 is Lately by Massive Attack. Thanks for making me dig up Blue Lines again!

July 12, 2006 at 9:31:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Quite right. A fine album which shouldn't be forgotten (even if not quite in the same class as their later works).

July 12, 2006 at 10:49:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! Number 12 is Humdrum - Peter Gabriel!

July 13, 2006 at 2:00:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Correct!

July 13, 2006 at 7:01:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Well, I have no idea what #20 is but I want to know - any song that has the word karaoke in it is all right with me!

#22 is Black Water by the Doobie Brothers and now that stupid song is stuck in my head. I may have to try this at karaoke. Oddly enough, every time I hear this song I think of my father because I first heard it at his house and my sister and I were dancing on the hardwood floor.

July 13, 2006 at 6:48:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Well done, DM! Finally the Doobies fall. I am astonished that this one wasn't identified in the first few minutes, it's such a classic "earworm" - and also several dozen years old.

July 13, 2006 at 7:52:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW - the anonymous one was me, but for some reason yesterday blogger comment boxes didn't seem to be accepting people's identities for a while (I had the same problem on another site shortly afterwards)

July 13, 2006 at 8:04:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

This was fun! I wish I had known more of the songs.

July 14, 2006 at 8:47:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home