Thursday, July 06, 2006

Damn, part two

My ex-colleague Ageing Yuppie has a new job (well, since October 2005 already): he's a professor of design in a college Oop Noorth. He was in town last weekend, we met for a cappuchino under the chestnut trees of the Grand Café Planie, and he told me this tale:
On the day when Germany was playing Sweden, I was booked to give a lecture to my students on (something or other), and I really had no desire to do this at all. It was hot and muggy, everyone was feeling lethargic on the one hand and excited about football on the other. So when one of the girls asked whether we couldn't just skip the lecture and watch the game I hesitated for about an eighteenth of a second before saying "yes." They had it all organized within minutes: they had found a beamer and set it up in the lecture hall, one of them brought in two crates of cold beer, another organized platters of sandwiches. I didn't have to do a thing.

So we sat there - and you know what girls wear in the summer when it's really hot: hardly anything. So we're sitting there in the air-conditioned lecture hall, I'm surrounded by naked flesh, drinking cold beer and eating sandwiches and watching the world cup on the big screen. And a thought struck me, and I nearly choked on my beer. As soon as I could stop laughing and wiped the tears away, I said to them:

"You realize, of course, that I'm getting paid for this."

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mwahahaha. Great story!

July 6, 2006 at 2:39:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

Oh, now THAT's not fair, not fair at all :-)

July 6, 2006 at 3:40:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I hope is is paid well enough to make that all worthwhile.

July 6, 2006 at 5:02:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

It is amazing the things that can be done on "work time".

July 6, 2006 at 8:15:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Half-naked girls, beer, AC and football. I cannot imagine anything better indeed, nope.

July 6, 2006 at 11:29:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Anxious said...

You hate him, don't you
;o)

I still wear clothes in the summer...

July 7, 2006 at 11:19:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Joe: as Michael Palin said in similar circumstances, "it's a dirty, thankless job but somebody's got to do it."

Lioness: from the testosteronish point of view, that is about as good as it gets :-)

Anxious: yes, absolutely!

July 7, 2006 at 11:32:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger * said...

HI Udge, I know this is off-topic,but what I forgot to reply about the Collingwood, he is so interesting because he is able to bridge the gap between liberalism & communitarism, which means he doesn't formulate freedom and certain social values not standing in opposition to each other. Also he writes very well, at times provokingly, and of course he is a crazy eccentric englishman which only adds to the charme...

July 7, 2006 at 2:00:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

Yeah, I hate him too.

July 9, 2006 at 3:43:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home