Friday, June 30, 2006

Crazy

Germany has just beaten Argentina 5:3 (in overtime), and the city is going crazy. There has been no traffic at all for the last hour, maybe one car every ten minutes; but now the streets are bumper-to-bumper full, everyone waving flags and honking and shouting. I can't imagine what the scene downtown (at the open-air big screens) must be like.

Germany will meet Italy on July 4, which IMHO should be a "gimme" for the home side, and will then face either Brazil or England Portugal on July 9 for the championship.

I must confess that even I am getting somewhat excited.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! I was in Germany when it won the 1990 World Cup, and that was an experience to behold. Note to self: stay off the streets of Berlin when soccer matches go well.

June 30, 2006 at 9:32:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

Et tu, Brute?

:-)

June 30, 2006 at 10:05:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

I can't even imagine how truly crazy the scenes around town must be. Wow!

July 1, 2006 at 7:39:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

Not wishing to cast a damper, but Italy might prove tougher than you think. And I wouldn't write off Portugal or France either. Nobody would expect France to beat Brazil, but nobody I know expected Germany to beat Argentina either.

Best of luck though.

July 1, 2006 at 5:05:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Well, we all know how good my predictive skills are, after Portugal beat England. But I do think that Italy were (undeservedly) lucky to get past Australia.

July 3, 2006 at 11:27:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

"and will then face either Brazil or England on July 9 for the championship"

Ha!

HA!

I laugh in your general direction. Wouldn't it be fun if Portugal won? Oh the car crashes, the head concussions, the alcoholic comas, madness for days and days... Such bliss.

July 4, 2006 at 3:46:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home