Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Storm

I sat here, reading blogs and eating raspberries with mascarpone (it's a tough life, I tell you), occasionally hearing noises from outside. It eventually registered that the noises were getting louder and steadier, and had become a near-constant roar of wind and thunder. There's one hell of a storm about to break: the forecast says up to 25 litres per square metre (equates to 2.5 quarts per square foot) with hailstones up to 1 inch diameter, and "dangerously high winds." The trees in the schoolyard are weaving around like drunken soccer fans.

This should be pretty exciting. I shall shut down the computers (which otherwise never happens) and unplug the network cables.

[Updated on July 6] Well, that was actually pretty dull. High winds, yes; rain, yes; lots of thunder and lightning, oh yes. But definitely not the hell of a storm that was forecast. I've just looked through the local and regional news, and found no reference to storm damage. (Not that I particularly wished for that, of course.)

8 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

Hope the storm passed without any damage.

July 6, 2006 at 7:32:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Oh, I had a question for you. Completely random and unrelated to anything you've posted, but I think of you as the only true opera expert I "know" (insert "read" for know). This is an odd question. In the movie, "The Shawshank Redemption," there is part of an opera played. The aria is quite pretty and a few people I know are looking to find which opera it was. Do you know? If not, not a big deal. If you do know, would you be willing to share your knowledge?

July 6, 2006 at 7:42:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

I would share if I knew, but I don't so I can't. I remember the scene, and can almost recall what was sung. I think it was Puccini but I would not bet a single penny on it.

Does anyone have the DVD? It'll be noted in the credits.

July 6, 2006 at 11:33:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The details for the soundtrack at Amazon list 'The Marriage Of Figaro: 'Duettino - Sull 'Aria' - Karl Boehm/Deutsch Opr Berlin' (Track 16). Follow the link and you can listen to a selection from each track so you will be able to tell if this is what you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

July 6, 2006 at 1:21:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and while we are asking you for advice I also have a question: Do you know Henryk Gorecki: Symphony No. 3? If so, I would love to know your opinion about it.

July 6, 2006 at 1:29:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Thank you! That helped a lot.

Glad to hear there was no damage from the strom.

July 6, 2006 at 8:19:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Hello Cat, thanks for jumping in with the opera. I can't get it to play (Windows-specific link :-( but since it's the only opera in the soundtrack it must be the one.

I don't know Gorecki at all, but the music library has this on CD so I'll listen to it on the weekend.

July 7, 2006 at 1:29:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey great! i thought i would send it to you if you don't have it but the library makes things easier and faster :) looking forward to you commentary.

July 9, 2006 at 3:11:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home