Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Halftimes

... in two quite real senses, but also in a way that I cannot really put my finger on. I have the sense of being at the cusp of something or other, of standing silent upon a peak in Darien - but I have no idea what this might be. It really does feel as though something came to an end in the last weeks of June, and something else as yet unknown is unfolding. I feel like a sail filling in the wind; the ropes are creaking and the boat will presently begin to move, though I'm damned if I can tell where it's heading.

It's a good feeling.

I finished the second draft of the revised Hobbyist project this afternoon and sent it off for user testing. It looks pretty good; not as ravishingly beautiful as the new user interface would have been, but on the other hand it is consistent, simply upgradeable and it Actually Does Work Properly which is apparently something that users prefer.

The second half of the Hobbyist game will be to write up the user reference material, and to process the inevitable bug-discoveries and change requests that this will bring. I am considering changing over from a single thick PDF document which nobody reads, to a page-based HTML help system linked to the user interface, so that each screen, each user action, could present a relevant page or two of advice and assistance. The great disadvantage of the HTML help system is that I would have to write it, whereas Georgette will write at least the first draft of the PDF version. (I am also considering podcasting a Useful Tip Of The Week, step-by-step instructions for common actions.)

Halftime also in the world cup (as I started writing), Germany versus Italy currently stands at 0-0. I infer that it has been a cautious game on both sides, there was only one yellow card in the first half. I went for a walk around the Feuersee during the break, enjoying the relative cool of the evening: it is still 29° and very muggy, and I shall have to take a shower before bed.

[22:47 in the 92nd minute of the game] Well, the allotted time is nearly up and it's still 0-0. If Germany survives the overtime, they will win in the penalty shots. Either way, there will be no sleeping before 1am here.

[23:26 in the 121st minute of the game] Italy have just hammered in two goals in three minutes. Ah well. I shall let my predictions stand, feel free to make mock of them. There is an astounding amount of cheering going on outside, surely there are not that many Italians in Stuttgart, it must be "rest of world" celebrating vicariously (interesting word, that; I shall have to look up its etymology). The fireworks have already started, the corso will not be long behind.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally hate those single thick PDF manuals. I know that the idea is to print it out, but isn't that just a mean waste of paper?

July 4, 2006 at 11:30:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

After our previous discussions on Germany v Italy I could say I told you so, but for 117 minutes I wasn't sure who had told whom. It was a very even match. The first half was actually anything but cautious - both sides went out to score from the beginning - and the lack of yellow cards reflects the very laid-back refereeing. And neither team took advantage of that: there was no serious diving, and most players got up quickly when they'd been downed. If the game had gone to penalties I agree Germany would almost certainly have won, but either way it would have been a poor end to one of the best matches I've seen for years.

For what it's worth I think France will beat Portugal (unless it goes to penalties - only a fool would bet against Portugal's keeper) and I have no idea who would come out ahead in a France v Italy final. Another classic ahead there, perhaps.

July 4, 2006 at 11:44:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Heartbreaking loss for Germany but excellent fight to the end. It will be interesting to see what comes up. Maybe the feeling in your life is a macrocosm of the World Cup. As one team wraps up another match is unveiled. I relish in that feeling. Since the hobbyist project is now closer to completion you'll have lots of time to further enter the mysteries of life. Even if no one reads your PDF, it's still a huge accomplishment -one of those things that inevitably needs to be done, so keep on plugging plugger! Make a good show of it, sport.

July 5, 2006 at 12:27:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I may interject, Bruce is playing in Germany in October.

http://backstreets.com/tour.html

Great, great show. Don't miss it.

RFJ

July 5, 2006 at 10:25:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Jean said...

Sounds good!!

I hate to say this, but I actually really appreciate having instructions in BOTH forms. The single pdf document is a pain if you need one thing in a hurry. But it IS useful also to have a printed manual to leaf through and to have to hand - on-screen instructions just do not replace this. I would think very highly of a software package that provided both.

July 5, 2006 at 1:25:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

As a user, I'd say I'd rather have the HTML, but it can be tedious. Is there a way to do a couple of tip sheets in PDF with commonly used functions? Those are nice and not a huge waste of paper.

I was hoping for Germany to win. If only for the fact a guy I work with will be unbearable until this whole thing is over because Italy won, but I was also kind of hoping for a Germany/Portugal pair-up. See, I should just not get involved with sports at all.

July 6, 2006 at 7:36:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say, watching the match with my Italian (actually South Tyrolian) friends was quite triumphant (we partied until 8am!). Even if you are not a devout football fan it's always great to be on the side of the winning team - and especially after an amazing match like that one!

So Italy in the final.

(I also hate the PDF manual for exactly the reason noorster gave).

July 6, 2006 at 1:39:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home