Monday, July 17, 2006

Probably not my last words on the subject

I've been busy with work the last few days (and also a fair amount of socializing), but that isn't why I haven't posted.

I have no particular right to write about the thing that's been foremost on my mind for a week, being neither Jewish, Moslem, nor resident in the Middle East. I didn't (and don't) want to add to the chorus of self-declared experts, giving useless advice from a safe distance on a matter that they have no way of understanding and a circumstance that they have never experienced (thank God).

On the other hand, it does occupy my thoughts, and it seems foolish (unworthy, undignified) to write about getting caught in the rain while others write about watching missiles destroy residential areas. (That's just my opinion, your mileage may vary.)

May I recommend to your attention recent posts by Treppenwitz, Billmon, Tom Engelhardt, William Lind and Tim Bray? (More or less in that order.)

For what little it's worth, my own feelings on the matter run in the tight circle Noorster described: "I've spent the last few days unwittingly dragging myself through a wide scope of emotions: my warmongering, my despair, my guilt, my sadness and my clinging on to my bubble."

Definitely warmongering, oh yes; I wrote a comment on Treppenwitz (the "bring it on" post) which I then didn't submit because it offended even myself.

An analogy:

Small children believe themselves always to be in the right; what they do is necessarily correct and good, what others do is necessarily wrong and bad. This is seen in the back-seat-of-the-car hitting game loathed by every parent (and uncle): A hits B in revenge for B's previous blow, and believes that all is now square, honour is satisfied. However, B believes that her punch had been in retaliation for A's previous kick; that A has dared to strike again is a deliberate insult! So B hits A, and believes that all is now square, honour is satisfied. However, A knows that his blow had evened the cards, B's attack is therefore an act of unprovoked aggression! So A hits B, and believes that all is now square, honour is satisfied. This can go on for an amazingly long time, even after both A and B have understood its essential futility.

Most children grow out of this sooner or later, and realize that (a) their actions have consequences, and (b) other people might just be right too once in a while; I guess that those who don't learn this, become political or religious fanatics.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pilarcita said...

An unfortunately those immature fanatics don't confine their "punches" to each other but simply start flailing wildly about, hurting innocents along the way.

July 17, 2006 at 11:23:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Like you, I am not Jewish or Muslim or a Middle Eastern resident. I just know that this entire battle goes back a long time, that war is sad and innocent lives are taken or destroyed and that I hate it. I have my loyalties and opinions and that's about what they are. I just don't want to see anymore people hurt. It bothers me.

Do you think the mother/father/uncle figure can just tell them to "grow up?" But then, that doesn't solve anything either. And the world jumping in to break up the fight doesn't work either. I just wish both sides could find a way to respect each other and stop hurting each other. We're all humann beings, no matter what religion or nationality.

July 18, 2006 at 5:56:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

The adults cannot "solve" the problem, they can only interrupt it until next time. The kids must want to stop playing.

The Treppenwltz post that I linked to is relevant to this point.

July 18, 2006 at 9:24:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

I keep thinking of Divine Intervention. Not a great movie, but a visceral glimpse into the intractable, millenial squabble between bad neighbors living on the border. Worth finding, if looking for any kind of comprehension of that perma-conflict.

July 19, 2006 at 4:12:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

I was so very happy to find you over at David's. We often disagree but in this case he is writing what i wish I knew how to. AND he's always worth reading anyway.

July 19, 2006 at 4:23:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

That is an excellent analogy. It describes all too well how wars start. It's sad, isn't it, knowing that a lot of times that people are acting like children but the consequences are much harsher than a time out.

July 22, 2006 at 12:07:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home