Saturday, April 08, 2006

Spring

magnolia blossom budding out
The swallows aren't yet here, but everything else is in place. The actors are in costume, the curtain has been drawn, the audience awaits.
 
I took some photos of spring emerging this morning, on my way downtown to the library.
 
leaves_emerging budding
 
I have begun photographing the ways that people inhabit their cars, the little mascots and emblems and rearview-mirror-dangly-bits that make an anonymous mass product "mine". These will be appearing on Flickr soon (no need to check, I'll post a note here when it happens).
For what we ask is Life,
Without a touch of Poetry in it? ...

How quaint the ways of Paradox
At common sense she gaily mocks
I'm listening to Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance as I write, a magnificent comic operetta with fine music and a gloriously absurd plot. A laugh a minute, as they say. Those unsure of whether opera might appeal to them, could do worse than to start with a taste of G&S.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Weird, talking with a guy at work who was born on Leap Year 29 Feb, and he did not know about the Priates Leap Year plot point. I directed him to see it soon, he wanted to see it in children's book form. I gues such a thing does in fact exist.

April 8, 2006 at 5:49:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Beth has been going to see a company in Minneapolis perform Gilbert and Sullivan for years now. She brought my roommate and I to a performance about four years ago and we've made it a tradition. It is a lot of fun.

My personal belief is anyone who thinks they don't like opera but is a fan of Queen's song Bohemian Rhapsody is wrong. They just don't realize they like opera because who expects it to show up in a rock song?

April 8, 2006 at 6:20:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Spring! It is getting better here too. Great pictures.

Pirates of Penzance. Ah. I do adore that G&S. As Dana said, Gilbert and Sullivan is something that I've been happy to enjoy for years. Someone had not wanted to go to a show years ago, trying the "it's just fat ladies singing in metal underwear" line. Not true. But you know that.

April 9, 2006 at 10:57:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

One of my introductions to the joys of opera was performing "H.M.S. Pinafore" in the 7th grade chorus. "Carefully on tiptoe stealing..." was memorable.

April 11, 2006 at 2:11:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home