Friday, March 31, 2006

Free

... if only for one day. The architects are in deepest Bavaria, meeting all and sundry for the (hopefully) last round of discussions before publishing the invitation to bid on the construction work.

What to do? The sky is overcast, a lumpy blue-grey which speaks of rain and cold winds, so it's probably not a good day for a walk along the river.

I had thought, walking home from work just before midnight yesterday, that I could take a three-day holiday break, a last-minute train trip to somewhere or other (actually, I wanted to write another trainblog and so required a long journey). I couldn't think of anywhere in particular I'd like to go, especially given that all Europe is suffering from grey, cold and windy weather this weekend.

I thought instead of what I'd like to do in that as yet undecided holiday destination: walk slowly and aimlessly around looking at Stuff, drop into the occasional bookshop, stop in a cafe whenever I felt like refreshment, visit a museum or gallery, then in the evening find a small quiet restaurant with very good food.

At which point it occurred to me that I can do all of that perfectly well, right here in Stuttgart. "Holiday" is a state of mind, not a place.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

It is so nice to take a day (or even two) to just explore your own town. I want, and always mean to do it and will this summer, to discover where I live, using the eyes of a traveler.

March 31, 2006 at 11:02:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Yes!

March 31, 2006 at 11:55:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

It continuously amazes me that there is so much about the Twin Cities (Minnesota) that I do not know and yet I've lived here all of my life (except for that one year I lived in the exotic location of Wisconsin). I think every one can benefit from taking the time to explore. That's a great way of thinking of it, holiday is actually a state of mind. Have a great holiday weekend.

March 31, 2006 at 7:33:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home