Saturday, April 01, 2006

Being a tourist

Staatsgalerie Stuttgart, sequence of doorways
enfilade_mittelalter
Originally uploaded by udge.
I decided yesterday to spend this three-day weekend (since I had Friday off) being a tourist in my hometown, and very pleasant it was, too.
 
I started by walking around the Feuersee, only recently clear of ice after a long winter, where I had previously seen a pair of turtles swimming. I wondered whether they had survived the winter, and found the answer: they not only survived, but have bred. I counted over a dozen warming themselves in the weak sunlight.
 
I continued on downtown, and dropped in to the Staatsgalerie for a look around (being a member, I can just wander in whenever I like without paying admission - or rather, having paid a year's admission in advance). This time I had the camera along, so was able to photograph Max Beckmann's "Auferstehung" in its new, hopefully not temporary, position. This painting previously hung on a side wall of the corridor-ish room that connects the Neue and Alte parts of the Staatsgalerie, where it was very poorly positioned. The room was hardly broader than the painting is tall, so you couldn't really stand back to take it in; and it hung at right angles to the flow of traffic where stopping to enjoy it would cause a tailback. In summary: very poor. It now hangs in the place of a Picasso sculptural group which is off on tour (like the garden gnome in Amelie). The new position is much better: in a very large room, at the end of an enfilade so you can see it from a great distance. It's marvellous, as though it were a new painting; every visitor stops to admire it.

6 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

What a lovely day. Great pictures (here and on Flickr).

April 3, 2006 at 12:39:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger * said...

hi udge, dachte ich komm mal hier vorbei. ich mag den Akzent der Hollaender auch, hat sowas Verpieltes und Unschuldiges...und es klingt, als ob du einen ganz schoenen Tag hattest...and good that the Beckmann got a better place...that's so important...

April 3, 2006 at 4:58:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Contest is everything.

April 4, 2006 at 2:20:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Wow. I really like that picture. Going to flickr now to see your others.

It sounds like a great mini holiday. I'm glad you took the time for yourself.

April 4, 2006 at 8:30:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to take time for yourself. Very interesting picture.

April 4, 2006 at 4:47:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Mary said...

Udge, I enjoyed this and I agree with everyone else about the picture - that is such a well composed photograph. The colours in it work so well also ....

April 7, 2006 at 10:29:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home