Tuesday, July 12, 2005

A discovery

redRose

I try to walk for an hour every day (except in the pouring rain), usually in the early morning before settling down to the computer for the rest of the day. This developed to counteract my tendency to inertia: there were days when I would not leave the house at all. I think of this as "walking to work" in the spirit of Max Ernst, who would kiss his wife and kids goodbye, walk around the block, and come back home to do his day's painting.

feuersee

Today's walk took me around the Feuersee, a large pond or small lake here in the west of Stuttgart, which has rose bushes, large shady trees, a 19th century gothic church on a peninsula, a pair of restaurant/café places with outdoor seating (one trendy, the other rustic; I prefer the rustic), some very large fish, plenty of ducks, and a set of broad steps down to the water where smooching teenagers and model-boat-sailors congregate.

feuerseeturtle1

This summer the Feuersee is also home to a pair of turtles, which I swear were not there in previous years. They were swimming slowly around, being ignored by fish and ducks alike. Presumably they were somebody's pets and have been released into the lake. I hope they survive. (The photos of the turtles are not great: they were too far away and I was shooting into the sun. I'll try to get some better shots posted soon.)

3 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

Nice pictures and a really good idea. I should try that on the weekends before I start blogging. Although the whole going outside thing in the heat frightens me a bit.

July 12, 2005 at 7:09:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Fred said...

Great pics. I love all the large and small garden and park areas in Europe. They seem so much better than those here in the U.S.

July 12, 2005 at 7:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Thanks for the compliments. DM, re going outside in the heat: I too am cautious, that's why I walk early while it's still cool and the humidity is (relatively) low.

July 12, 2005 at 9:20:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home