Friday, February 17, 2006

Welcome to Canonland

View across Stuttgart to the Killesberg
newCamera_firstPhoto
Originally uploaded by udge.
A familiar view, taken with a new camera. Flickr reduced the resolution to XGA (1024*768), the original is 2500*1900.

As a first impression I'm disappointed, the image seems noisy and garish compared to the Nikon's more muted colours and softer transitions. But perhaps I have not properly set it up?

BTW although the Nikon died, its accessories are still in working order. If anyone wants an EN-EL1 battery & charger, a 512Mb CompactFlash card (or the dead camera itself) then mail me.

In other news courtesy of Tim Bray, a most amazing video. How many thousands of hours of hard work do these five minutes represent?

8 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

That video!!! I am weeping in joy and amazement. Thank you thank thank you for that link! I MUST forward it. WOW!

February 17, 2006 at 10:51:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

iPhoto.

'nuf said.

February 18, 2006 at 2:17:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Er, not quite 'nuf. Should I use iPhoto or avoid it? In any case, the problem appears to be in the photos because they appear just as garish and noisy in Graphic Converter.

Perhaps I shall have to read the manual.

February 18, 2006 at 9:21:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. i have the Nikon CoolPix E885 and would love an extra battery! do you think it is the right one for that camera?

hmm.. i am looking at it and it says EN-EL1 so i guess that must be it.

is it still up for grabs? *rushes off to mail you*

February 18, 2006 at 6:52:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Um, I thought the picture was pretty. So there.

February 18, 2006 at 11:37:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

I tried to comment before but Blogger ate it.

That video was totally cool. I never thought I'd enjoy watching juggling.

I like the picture. Have fun with the new camera!

February 19, 2006 at 11:10:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

iPhoto is what makes my shots work. I always play with them, always. Enhance works sometimes, or I desaturate, or adjust the contrast, sharpness, color balance, straighten, crop, copy a few and play with them in different ways then compare. Not as versatile as Photoshop, but very user friendly, much easier, and often quite sufficient unto the day.

February 20, 2006 at 4:38:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

I loved the rhythum and coordination with the music of that video. That guy must have a pretty developed cerebellum. Nice new picture. I think you should do an autopsy on the dead camera.

February 25, 2006 at 7:53:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home