Sunday, January 22, 2006

On the roundness of the Earth

A source of uncertainty on the 100 Days site (and not only there) arises from the fact that the Earth is not flat, that the group has members all around the world, in nearly every timezone: When does today begin? My "early morning on Sunday" in Central European Time, is your "late evening on Saturday" in Pacific Standard Time, whereas a little further east it's already "late afternoon on Sunday" in Korean Standard Time.

(It's odd how many things one "knows" without ever questioning, or taking the time and effort to really understand, for instance the round world, timezones and the International Date Line. I had to draw a little diagram to figure this out, which I would post if only I had a camera or scanner. Sigh.)

Practically speaking, "today" begins when somebody posts the Number Of The Day. This is fine as far as it goes, but early-rising pedants and obsessives (raises hand, points to himself) get upset when they must post their comments - for which the world is of course waiting with bated breath - on the wrong (long-since-past, previous) day, or else wait around until the "correct" day is finally posted by some slothful late-riser. So I volunteered myself for day-posting duty.

Today is Day 22, which was posted at 9am CET this morning by yours truly, the first time that I have had this honour and responsibility.

6 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

Just a question - isn't the whole purpose of meditation to relax and not obsess about things?

Not that I should question this because I couldn't sit still long enough to meditate if you paid me. I envy your discipline.

January 22, 2006 at 8:29:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Janice said...

hey udge ... saw your 'day posted by' this morning on 100 Days ... had a pause and a think to calculate what time it was here and there

I've noticed you speak about Toronto occasionally (my hometown) and on your Read List, you've noted CBC Saskatchewan. Are you Canadian? and why Saskatchewan?

see ya over at 100 Days

January 22, 2006 at 11:30:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

DM: what is this "relax" of which you speak? :-) Since you ask, I'm not really sure what the purpose of meditation is. Hmmm. Have to work on this (oh goody, a new obsession).

Janice: thanks for dropping by. I am indeed Canadian, though living in Germany, born on the Prairies where I still have family (my sister lives there, plus uncountable uncles, aunts and cousins). If you're curious, I wrote about this last year, look back to Dec04/Jan05 in the archives.

January 23, 2006 at 8:44:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Heather Cox said...

You mean the purpose of meditation isn't to figure out exactly when the day starts? LOL It cracks me up you obsess over that. I wouldn't have the patience.

January 23, 2006 at 6:20:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

As someone who obsesses over little things, too, I can imagine being upset about posting on the wrong day, too. I've enjoyed reading your comments on 100 days where I've been lurking more than participating.

January 24, 2006 at 2:10:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Mary said...

*grin*. I thought I recognised a fellow obsessive ... nice to know I'm not alone. And what's more we're both Geminis *bigger grin*.

First time to your blog, udge. I'm going to enjoy getting to know you.

January 25, 2006 at 12:04:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home