Friday, January 20, 2006

Tired

It's been a long and busy day. I woke with a start at 5:45, and after laying around for a quarter-hour realized that I wasn't going to sleep again, so got up. And immediately fell into a crisis: No milk! And the corner store doesn't open for an hour!! How can I have my cereal without milk!!!? I caught myself just in time before falling into a Calvin-like tantrum, and sat for twenty minutes while the yogi tea brewed. That calmed me down, and also reduced my appetite so that I actually worked through until 8:00 before doing my breakfast shopping.

I usually wake up ravenously hungry, with just enough patience and residual energy to pour milk on the cereal before collapsing; but if I sit or do active meditation like the Heart Chakra before breakfast, it somehow makes my hunger disappear - for a few hours at least.

In other news, Spring appears to be arriving already: The first bushes are budding out, the first songbirds were staking out their territory in the trees around the schoolyard at sunrise this morning. Remind me to keep my eyes open for the return of the swallows.

6 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

Good for you, being able to sit and control your hunger for a couple of hours! That is pretty cool.

January 21, 2006 at 12:16:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, a fellow must-eat-breakfast person!
And how dare you you have spring arriving while we're bracing for the Muscovite deep freeze?

January 21, 2006 at 10:38:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Liza said...

Well, perhaps if you hadn't poured milk into your water instead of your coffee the other day, you'd have had enough for the cereal! :-) Of course, not having milk for my morning coffee is enough to send me spiralling, so who am I to throw stones?

January 22, 2006 at 10:01:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

I may have spoken too soon with that "Spring" stuff. The forecast for the next few days is -2 to -12 (nights), those songbirds might just have to head south again.

Philip: yogi tea is a "bio-organic ayurvedic spice blend" with no actual tea leaves at all, another thing that Slim introduced me to. It is refreshing, very warming, contains no caffeine, and tastes like Christmas :-) If you follow a sandal-wearing muesli-eater around town, you will find a shop selling it. There are different flavours, I drink the "classic" cinnamon variety (red package).

100 Days is a group-hug site: a bunch of meditators who gather to encourage themselves and each other. The rationale is that it takes 100 days to form a new habit, and that during this time one needs a support group to (a) keep you going, and (b) pick you up when you - inevitably - stumble. It's mostly women, which is interesting, to the best of my memory and belief only Dale and myself comment there but I obviously don't know who is lurking.

Meditation is not easy. As a raw recruit, meditating on my own since 10 days, it is a great resource for me to be able to ask questions there, to post my unease and difficulty and have others reply with useful suggestions and general encouragement.

January 22, 2006 at 10:23:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

More about yogi tea. Follow the directions carefully! Don't let it boil again after putting in the mixture, it will turn very bitter. The packages suggests mixing 4:1 with milk, that is IMHO far too much, I use a large dollop (about two tablespoons) per half-litre. I would recommend starting with a quantity that seems to be "not nearly enough" and slowly add small amounts of milk until you arrive at a right measure (by taste).

January 22, 2006 at 10:36:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

That should obviously have been "... Dale and myself are the only men who comment there ..."

(Sighs, shakes head.)

January 22, 2006 at 1:01:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home