Monday, February 13, 2006

On believing one's customers

I have just spent 11 hours on what should have been a simple job for a Sunday afternoon, importing a customer's information into my database, because I believed what he told me. Silly me: I assumed that the data in his spreadsheet, which he uses every day, would match the description which he gave me.

Example: there are three fields marked "Height", "Width" and "Depth"; these stand directly beside each other, in such a way that one cannot possibly see one of them without also seeing the others. Yet in around a fifth of the records, the data was entered incorrectly: either all three values were in Height and the others remained empty, or Width and Depth were concatenated.

Example: several fields which were described as holding (only ever) numerical values, sometimes also hold a block of text explaining why this particular record is different.

Lessons learned (writing things down so that I will remember):

1) ignore the customer's description, look at what is actually there.

2) assume that every field will contain (at least once) a block of text in addition to what it should contain.

2a) always and only import data as text: if you put "0000746356" into a numerical field, it displays "746356". My bad, I should have anticipated that.

3) double the time you estimated for the job, and it'll come out about right.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aleah Sato said...

Hah, when a customer starts a sentence with, "It shouldn't take you very long...," it will.

February 13, 2006 at 10:42:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

One of the biggest lies in human history is the phrase, "The customer is always right." Ha! If they were so right, why would they need help with everything?

I'm glad you got the job done, even if it was a bit frustrating.

February 13, 2006 at 11:02:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Dale said...

You can believe they've got a problem. Never believe anything else :-)

I've worked in QA-ish jobs for a long time, and the biggest problem with reporting is that they tell you what they guess the problem is rather than exactly what happens. Their guesses are usually wrong, and they're rarely accurate about what actually happens.

February 14, 2006 at 7:34:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

About the post above this one (couldn't access the url): I imagine the salesman didn't come in handy once you found out their server was Linux-based? I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, but you've got to admit the situation is mildly funny. Your work sounds so tedious! I'd lose it for sure! That's what you level-headed folk are for though. Keep on training, steady Udge. (Ha ha, instead of truckin', get it?)

February 15, 2006 at 4:01:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

4) Always wear mascara

February 17, 2006 at 5:50:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home