Friday, July 04, 2008

How my day began

Telephone: Ring ring, ring ring, ring ring

Udge (mumbles): Hello?

Caller: Idiot! Bloody idiot!! Gah!!! Why didn't you call me?

Udge: Ah, good morning Lioness. How are you?

Spent the last days mostly at home, mostly in or on my bed. I've read a lot, dozed, even slept a few hours working off the effects of the competition last week. It's getting somewhat dull. I brought in my laptop which is now perched most uncomfortably on my purple belly as I lie propped up in bed, so this is not a long-term solution either.

Speaking of purple, I gave myself the first heparin injection (of three) this morning. I stood for a full minute with needle in one hand and a roll of belly fat in the other, before working up the courage to poke the needle in (but have to admit that it was in fact quite painless. This was subcutaneously administered (as we in the profession say), rather than injecting into muscle tissue which I now infer is the painful kind). My hand was shaking so much from the stress of the odd position and trying to push the plunger slowly and evenly that the needlepoint was waggling about. Lioness advised applying ice to the injection site immediately, which I did, and am pleased to see that there was no bruising there.

She gave me lots of good advice that the doctor didn't (e.g. avoid eating sources of vitamin K, which basically rules out everything but meat and junk food) and a few earnest warnings that I won't repeat. This condition is a combination of predisposition (low blood pressure, being very tall) and habits (sedentary, no exercise). Having got it, I shall have to be watchful (and active) for the rest of my life.

I've been drinking a lot of what I am amused to learn is called "white tea:" plain hot water. Quite deliciously refreshing.

Shabbat shalom, my dears, and happy Will Smith Day to the Americans. Enjoy the weekend.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

Oh good God, you make me sound like a tit! For accuracy's sake, I only called you an idiot, not a bloody idiot - at least not right away. And I didn't ask how you could be so stupid!

Tip for SQ injections: grab a fold of skin, so you have a triangle, and inject along the base. Now if I were at the receiving end of this I'd worry but you're spatially gifted and you'll understand. Yes? You need SQ injections, not IM, make sure you inject the skin, not the muscles. And now I shall ring you and call you an idiot again, for making me look like a right cow. YES I WILL.

July 4, 2008 at 5:21:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

He made you look like a lovely woman who looks after her friends, actually :->

July 4, 2008 at 5:50:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

lioness,
had the same impression as Dale. And you gave better, more specific info than I did, but then, I'm an OR nurse - and we forget these techniques. I'd never thought of ice, I'll keep that in mind.

July 4, 2008 at 6:04:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Corvi, Corey, Crow, Maggie and Raven said...

I think you are wonderful, Lioness, and if Udge exaggerated a little....well the portrait of a loving friend was well drawn.

July 4, 2008 at 11:02:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Heheheh, she is great, isn't she?

July 4, 2008 at 11:22:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm fixated on the lifestyle issue here, wrt long-term care. You decry a sedentary lifestyle which must change. And yet you are always talking about walking: to the coffee shop or along the river; you walk to work every day.

I can only assume that when you sit at the computer you sit at the computer. Full stop (as they say).

Perhaps the initial lifestyle change can be merely getting up and stretching once an hour. (Working up to tri-athlete training if you wish later on.)

I think that we all want to meet Lioness and have her on our side!

July 5, 2008 at 12:40:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

The existence of The Lioness proves there is a God. Disagreement will not be tolerated!

July 5, 2008 at 4:41:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

(humbles himself in the dust) unworthy! unworthy!

July 5, 2008 at 10:10:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Sorry Lioness, I have to agree with the rest, you came across as a good friend calling to help someone across the miles.

July 6, 2008 at 11:57:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

You guys are hysterical, thanks!

[Savtadotty and Udge, am still laughing over your comments!]

July 8, 2008 at 3:32:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home